It takes a moment for my eyes to adjust to the light of the streetlamp but when it does, I see an image that confuses me beyond measure. My eyes first fall on my sister, she looks absolutely unscathed and except for the scared look in her eyes and the tearstains that are now glittering in the yellow light, she looks fine, comfortable even, as she hugs the figure sitting beside her! Then I notice the other figure, a girl? I did not expect the kidnapper to be a girl and why the hell is she hugging my sister? Her side face is covered with her hair, and her back is turned towards me and it is as if she is trying to shield Evelyn from the guns. The strange girl shifts her body even more, to a position that if any bullets are fired from the guns, they will surely hit her instead of Evelyn whose head is placed on the girl's right shoulder. This made me sure of one thing, I was wrong in assuming that the Chicago outfit has kidnapped Evelyn, because this dainty girl can hardly be a part of the mafia and let alone the outfit. The never think of women as capable beings.

I take two long strides forward, and step into a place from where I will be visible to Evelyn. Her eyes land on me and in her sweet voice she croaks out: "Lucian, brother?" Those simple words gave me the sense of peace that can't be expressed in words.

I take out my vintage colt revolver from my coat's pocket and point it directly towards the girl's head. Simultaneously I hear Evelyn's panicked voice, "Lucian, no! Trisha saved my life!" And at the same time the girl turned her head, probably on hearing that Evelyn has called me brother.

I felt my entire world slow down in an instant. Those beautiful brave onyx eyes were the reason my breathe got caught in my throat. The fluorescent yellow light from the lamp reflected on her gem- like eyes, making them appear golden. She looked like a goddess, there was something in those eyes that made me want to worship them. I couldn't decipher the urges that I felt at the moment. She was no ordinary mortal, she cannot be!

She was standing in a deserted park surrounded by men holding guns, yet there wasn't an ounce of fear in her eyes. Her eyes were glowing and they wielded an unquestionable sense of power, she intrigued me to say the least.

It must have taken me a few seconds to compose myself, because when I noticed my sister again, she was already running towards me. Evelyn's soft arms collided with my body as she hugged me tight. I finally felt at peace realizing that Evelyn's life was out of danger. I signaled my men to put their guns down.

My eyes darted back to the beauty standing under the light which almost created a halo around her form. Who is she? 'Its not the time to think about a pretty girl now Lucian, think about your sister!' My conscience chides me.

"Where were you for the last 12 hours? Do you have any idea about how worried we were?" My voice came out colder than intended. Evelyn lowered her head. A royal princess never, I repeat never lowers her head... until, she has done something unforgivable. "Where were you?"

I am answered by her silence again, and this time, I notice a single tear fall from her left eye, followed by another. "Answer me Evelyn. Were you kidnapped? Did someone force you o run from the mansion?" Again, my questions are followed by silence.

If she won't answer me in the straight way, I will have to take a different path, "Does this girl here have anything to do with your disappearance today? Do you want me to shoot her in the head?"

The words were not only meant to provoke Evelyn but also this mysterious goddess standing in front of me. Somehow, my sick mind wanted to see if she will be intimidated by me like every other person who met me. Yet, to my utter surprise, a fierce look crossed her eyes for a moment and she glared at me, and then they diverted back to their initial emotionless state.

On the other hand, the trick had surely worked on Evelyn because she cried out "no" in an instant. "She- Trisha saved my life today, Lucian, I would not have been alive at this moment if not for her. I- I- came in front of a car and she jumped in front of it risking her own life in the process, and saved me. I had escaped the mansion's security on my own accord. No one helped me or kidnapped me. I wished to end it all..." Her voice trailed off.

I couldn't believe my ears, I knew that Evelyn was hurting herself, I knew that she was depressed, she had special therapists to help her for that, she had doctors checking her up weekly. But I never thought that my little sister would ever try to end her own life. Was she really this weak? Did she not love us? I felt a new surge of anger boil up within me. How could she do this to herself? How could she do this to her family?

And before I knew what I was doing, my hand raised up in the air and Evelyn flinched and braced herself for the impact, but before I could hit her, a soft little hand had caught my wrist. I felt as if a wave of current coursed through my body. She had a strong grip for someone I could probably pick up with a single hand.

And then I heard her voice, it was surely the sweetest thing I have ever heard in my entire life. It was so soft yet it held a firmness that could force you to oblige and listen. Her tone had an edge of harshness to it, she spoke each word with a pause, as if speaking to a child. "You were about to hit your sister, who just informed you that she has survived her worst. Are you crazy or are you dumb?"

And that is how, I, Prince Lucian Giovanni Alessandro White of Seandra, the man who is feared by both the human and mermaid races, was called "crazy and dumb" for the first time in my life.