glass castle

The carriage took the pair around the city, stopping only for a tea and pastry run. Matty settled on an apple fritter to go with his black tea and Blair picked up a sweet drink with a buttery croissant. The same, but different, she thought. Sweet and less sweet. Matty was a bit like that, too.

"What's so funny?" he asked, eyes aglow.

"Nothing." She smiled and turned away to take a sip of her tea.

"I believe that we will be at our stop soon."

She opened the door opened to reveal that they had stopped outside a small, wooded park. The hair on Blair's neck stood up when the breeze flew by—the sun had started to set, and the night had just begun. Matty had already circled around the back of the carriage to act as a footman. She clawed through her memories of Matty and never once had she seen him do something so simple, yet full of sincerity.

"Thank you," she said as she took his hand. Upon stepping out of the carriage, her eyes focused on something further in the trees. A bistro table in a conservatory just off of the pathway. She only realized that their hands were still intertwined when he started to lead her towards the glass sunroom illuminated by a small string of lights around its perimeter.

He floated with a coolness about him, as they walked into the sanctuary. It didn't make Blair nervous, but it made herself aware of how not-cool she seemed. She hoped he wouldn't notice but she was sure he did.

Matty pulled her chair out for her, and she began to think that he had been replaced by some insanely suave alien. He settled into the chair across from her before talking about food.

"So, wanna order a pizza?" He quirked a cheeky smile, the kind that make the skin around his eyes crinkle a bit.

"Yeah, that sounds lovely."

"Great! I've already sent out an order," he said while glancing at his phone. "I remembered that your favourite is Chicken Curry with stuffed crust, but I also got some garlic bread on the side." Her jaw dropped open.

"What?" Matty inquired with a raised brow. "Is that not a good one anymore?"

Blair softened her expression. "Sorry. No, it's good. Great, even."

He smiled again. He made it seem so easy. Maybe because it was. It was just pizza.

"I know that it's probably not as good as the pizza you got in New York." He exaggerated an accent, making 'York' sound more like 'Yawk'. It made her laugh.

"It'll be just as good, I'm sure." She replied with a smile. "The company may make it better than I remember."

Matty's hand reached up to clutch his imaginary pearls. "Miss Blair, are you flirting with me?"

"Only if you're okay with that." She smoothed out her skirt, smirking slightly.

"I'll have to think about it," he responded. Matty shrugged before grinning again.

They shared the pizza upon its arrival to the conservatory. The warm, aromatic spices from the toppings surrounded them while they dined. It was familiar and comforting for Blair. For Matty, it felt like stepping into a warm house after being out in the rain.

They ate until they were bloated. Matty was nearly tempted to unbutton the fastening on his trousers but decided against it. Instead, he patted his tummy and stood up.

"The best thing for digestion is some light exercise." He extended his hand again and Blair expected him to offer an evening walk. Instead, he pulled her close, and started to hum. Something she didn't recognize until it the chorus.

"What a marvelous night for a moondance, don't you think?" She jokingly asked him as she lazily threw her wrist around the back of his neck. He couldn't help but take in the details of her face: her eyes softening, her smile enlarging, her nose crinkling when she laughs. Matty pulled her by the hips. He needed her closer.

They swayed together in a slow trance; Blair now extremely conscious of how their hips fit together. They slid and pressed together with each easy step. Blair's hand now moved up behind Matty's head, settling in his dark curls. He took the arm that hung coolly at her side and placed it on his shoulder. They were face to face, in complete contact. She needed him closer.

Furtively, she moved her face closer, parting her lips slightly. Matty's eyes stayed observant, watching as she gained more confidence to finally rest her forehead against him. She breathed purposefully. Three short breaths. Blair tore through the remaining air between them with urgency until their mouths finally met in a sweet rush.

Immediately, Matty's hands flew to her cheeks, holding her face with a raw need. God, he missed kissing her, but this was more passionate. They grabbed for whatever fabric or hair or skin they could in a feverish desperation to deepen the kiss.

"Oh god," Matty moaned against Blair's open mouth. He broke apart from her and spoke with a shaky voice, "I need to stop before this gets out of hand."

They shared quick breaths and deep eye contact, never pulling away from each other. "But," he said again, tightening the grip on her hips. "I want you to know that I. Want. You."

The pit in Blair's stomach twisted, leaving her slack-jawed and short of breath. Swiftly, he stepped away from the warmth of her body and smoothed the front of his clothes. Matty opened the door with one motion, letting in the cool night air that an array of goosebumps on Blair's skin.

"Shall we go? I believe the carriage will be back in a moment."