lights down

Blair and Ronan stood outside a tall white tower block with dark accent features. Matty lived on the top floor. The trip up the stairs consisted of Ronan talking about how terrible his last date went.

"I'm beginning to think I'm just meant to be a bachelor, I guess" Step, step, step. "but I'm probably okay with that. I am wonderful company." The two friends reached the last step and looked at the tall door before Ronan knocked with a poised hand. Music and a savoury aroma billowed out of the flat when Matty opened the door.

"Hey guys, come on in," Matty beamed and led them in with a bashful wave of his hand. "We were going to start the video in about fifteen minutes, but grab some food over at that table." Ronan nodded while taking a confident step inside and running over to chat with the other people inside. He greeted others and left Matty and Blair in the doorway.

"Here, let me take your coat," he said. She smiled in response. "I was worried you weren't going to come."

"Why would you think that?" Blair inquired as he placed her coat on the rack.

"I guess things have always been a bit... uh, tense... or maybe complicated since we started this project." Matty shrugged and stuffed his hands in his trouser pockets to keep his cool. He swallowed and said, "I'm just glad that we're good."

"We were always good, Matty. Now, where was that food table you talked about earlier?" She pressed her hands down the front of her slacks and pressed on into the sitting room.

Ronan and Blair were settling in with everyone on the sofa. Matty's furniture was all worn leather, very cushy and easy to settle into. She immediately felt at home amongst the people around her even though she only recognized a few faces. It was warm.

"Here, try one of these quiches," Ronan said through a full mouth. "They're amazing."

They talked about the food, then the screening, then the food again. Then Ronan spoke out of turn.

"Anyway, have you seen Matty tonight? Looking like a real catch." Blair looked around to see Matty in his too-cool-to-try outfit, just a white button-up and some flared trousers. He stood with a small group, but glanced away from the conversation to meet her eyes. She smiled and briefly glanced at the floor to see he was still looking at her fondly. It made her hyperaware of herself as she nervously played with her sleeves, the light bits in her hair.

Blair looked back at Ronan and felt her heart steady. "Yeah, looks nice." Jamie stepped to the front of the room to break up side conversations and start the show.

"Just wanted to thank you all for coming out this evening. We've got a lovely presentation for you this evening, and we have our creatives-at-large down on the couch here to thank for that." With a kind smile, he gestured to Ronan and Blair. "Would you two like to say a few words?"

Blair opened her mouth to object, but before she got the words "no, thanks" out of her mouth, Ronan was up there stealing the show. Jamie and him stood with their arms around each others shoulders despite only having spoken a few times.

"Well, Blair's not much for a speech, but I'd be honoured to!" He said with a joyous laugh. Blair hid her face behind her hand. "We were so thankful to work on this music video and I think we made something totally cool. We have to thank you guys for giving us direction, but also letting us spread our wings and try out some new techniques. So, thank you for letting us go a little mad scientist on this video, we hope you enjoy."

Claps all around as Ronan found his seat next to Blair again. "Well, that was quite a speech," She laughed.

"I'll say," Matty whispered in her ear, causing her to jump. He had perched on the armrest of the couch, an arm draped across the backrest behind her. He was so close to touching her shoulder as he coolly placed his glass of red wine on the coffee table in front of them.

Jamie said a few more words, but Blair didn't hear a whole lot after she noticed Matty next to her. The lights dimmed in the living room as Jamie played the video on his telly. Blair felt her cheeks redden as she recognized her voice from the robot in the first part of the video.

"You have a wonderful voice, by the way," Matty cooed. "But I think I prefer your normal voice, there's more laughter in it." They watched the video side by side, silently admiring the way the other one sounded.