Chapter Forty-Two

Start from the beginning

"Did he find his horse?"

"No. He bought a horse from Martha's father, who was reluctant to sell but needed the money for food. Ivan and Martha exchanged addresses, and Ivan told her that after the war, he was coming back to marry her. We left and Ivan kept his promise."

"That explains it. He loved his Martha."

"Oh, I know. I am surprised he lasted that long after Martha's death. I was convinced that the first winter he would die of a broken heart. Was it his heart in the end?"

"No, Senator Randolph murdered Ivan. The senator and his aide, Mr. Albright, were trying to persuade Ivan to sell his property, and Kaiser attacked the Senator's arms, tearing his cuff. Ivan protected his dog as the Senator grabbed the fireplace poker. The Senator struck Ivan in the head. They panicked and left him for dead."

"I have read the papers, but they offered little detail, only sensationalism to sell papers. Poor Ivan. That makes me sad to think he had to die so tragically. The last time Ivan came to visit me, he went to see a doctor. His heart was failing him, and after that diagnosis, he spent every day putting his affairs in order and waiting for when he could be with Martha."

"Thank you for your time this morning, Mr. Wellington."

"Please call me Everett. If you find any unusual rocks, save them for me. I always enjoyed when Ivan would bring me unique specimens to examine and research."

"I would enjoy that."

Reggie reached into his satchel and brought out a bottle of Thanturnum whiskey.

"I know it is still early, but do care to join me in a toast to Ivan?"

"Now you're talking. I know Ivan liked his vodka, but I prefer a delightful blend."

"This is one of the best. We distill the whiskey at my father's estate."

Everett offered two glasses, and Reggie cracked open the seal and poured two glasses.

"To Ivan."

They toasted and drank to their friend. Reggie left the bottle and placed the empty box in his satchel. Everett pulled out a doctor's bag and packed the bottles and jars in the bag and then latched it shut.

"Mr. Sterling will return the bag. Here is the address to his office, and I wrote my account number and the address to the bank. Mr. Jeffers is the man you want to talk to at the bank."

"I have a strange request. Can I borrow a couple of pieces of that fool's gold?"

Everett looked at the young man strangely.

"It ain't worth nothing."

"I want to compare it in case I find any."

The older man's eyes lit up, and he gave him a couple of pieces from his jar. Reggie had another plan for one of the nuggets brewing in his mind.

"I appreciate the help and the information you have shared with me. I look forward to our visits."

"This has been delightful this morning. Congratulations on your upcoming marriage. I read it in the paper."

Reggie rolled his eyes, realizing he had made the society column.

"Thank you. Charlotte is a wonderful girl, and I could not be happier."

"Her grandfather, Gaspar, and I are old friends. He knew Ivan, and he is a wonderful source if you have questions."

"Why that old sly fox? He stayed at our home and even visited Ivan's cabin, but he never let on that he knew the man."