"What the heck am I doing?"

He didn't have much time on his hands, especially not for babysitting but something about the kid moved him. His heart wanted him to nurture the fragile child till he could look up at the "man" with proud eyes. His brain, however, didn't like wasting time. There were many kids out there like this young man and treating him different while others suffered didn't sit right. But there was this feeling… the feeling that this kid was going to change everything and All Might, for the last time in his life, decided to take the risk. He didn't know how long he had before he bit the dust and that only made his resolution stronger. Maybe he should save the one who has the potential to save tons.

Thus started the most chaotic phase of the lives of All Might and a boy named Midoriya Izuku.

ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

Waking up the next morning felt really…. Normal. That was until Izuku recollected the events that transpired the night before, stumbled off the bed, tripped on seemingly nothing and fell flat on his face.

"Aughh" he groaned and managed to walk out of his room. He froze midway, realising that he had to face his mother. He felt guilty for making her worry so much for him that she ended up with a fever. Izuku had to coax her into eating some soup and sleeping early because she was clearly being a stubborn bear. He could hear the running water and the clinking of dishes from the kitchen.

"Izuku?"

The green haired woman walked out of the kitchen with a ladle in her hand. Izuku bit his lip and fidgeted slightly before apologizing again. This time, Inko embraced him tightly and shed silent tears.

"I'm just glad you're safe, honey. I was terrified when I saw you in the new-" she clenched her eyes shut, "just- just promise me that you'll be careful, okay?"

Izuku buried his face in her hair and mumbled a meek 'okay'. Inko laid out the breakfast and they started eating in a comfortable silence. However, Izuku was not expecting Inko's next words, rather, her next question.

"Saving Katsuki… did it feel right?"

"Wha-" Izuku coughed in surprise, "why-um.. why would you ask that? Kacchan is my frien-"

"Izuku, don't hide things from me… please"

The green haired teen froze and looked into her sincere eyes. He sighed and pursed his lips, playing with his chopsticks in a very obviously nervous manner.

"What gave me away?"

"everything"

There was a brief silence and Izuku, for the first time, was uncomfortable. Inko shook her head and stood up to hug him. Izuku let her do it and hugged her back while sitting.

"Izuku '' Inko spoke softly, "you are good at hiding things. You've fooled many with that smile of yours. You make it seem like you're happy despite everything that's going on. But… you're terrible at hiding things from me. I'm your mother, honey. I can tell if my baby is fine or not and you most certainly aren't" she paused to tread her fingers through his messy hair, "I may not have been the most supportive parent but I want you to open up… I knew something wasn't right when Katsuki stopped showing up and with the way you always tried to avoid bringing it up. I've seen the remnants of Ash on your uniform, the bruises that littered your arms… oh honey"

Izuku was at a loss for words. He had no idea his mother was this observant. She did ask him about his friendship with Katsuki a few times and each time, he somehow managed to sugarcoat his way out of it.

"Mom… I'm sorry I kept all of this a secret from you… I just- I didn't want you to worry about me… you already have a lot to deal with and I just-"

Inko pulled back and shook her head. "It's a mother's job to worry about her children, honey. Besides, what kind of a mother am I if I can't help my only son… my only family?"

Izuku watched her pleading eyes and the dam broke. He cried his heart out in her arms.

After a while, they finished their breakfast and Izuku promised her that he'll tell her everything later. He had to meet All Might and so he rushed out.

Upon arriving, he spotted the frail figure standing in the waves, enjoying the beautiful morning.

"All- Uhm- Yagi-san!" Izuku waved.

All Might turned around and waved back. As Izuku approached, the blond tilted his head in a playfully mocking manner.

"Does morning mean 10 am to you?"

"Wha-"

"Ha ha, just kidding, shounen. But how about this, get here by 7 starting tomorrow, okay?"

"How long have you been- wait, starting tomorrow? You're gonna- what exactly- I- I don't understand?!"

All Might laughed and patted Izuku's shoulder. "Your training, my boy! You're not going to become a hero with just a fit body, right?"

Izuku gaped at the man and blinked thrice. "Are you- oh my god! Are you gonna t-train me?"

"Well… I'm not exactly qualified for training nor do I know how to but I guess I'll try"

Izuku's jaw nearly hit the floor and he launched himself at All Might in sheer joy, making the weak man stumble back.

"Hah- careful my boy! I'm not that strong"

"'course you are," Izuku mumbled. He pulled away and looked around. "So…. Where do I start?"

All Might sat down on the soft sand and asked Izuku to as well. "First of all, I'm gonna have to ask you about your plan to get into the hero course. I already know that you want to make it into UA because that's what every budding hero dreams of. So tell me, Midoriya-Shounen, what's your plan"

"I-" Izuku gulped. "The entrance exam?"

All Might was about to say something but he stopped himself. "Well…. You should definitely check out the requirements for the entrance exam. But it's also necessary that you come up with plan B and C as well. Evaluate your strengths and weaknesses, my boy. The hero course entrance exam is tough… I'm not trying to discourage you but… it's always better to have a back-up plan"

Izuku considered the words carefully and nodded. "I'll do some homework today… can I tell you my plan by tomorrow?"

"Sure, no problem!" The hero exclaimed, "now then, let's start by working on your muscles… help my clean up this beach" he said, pointing to the piles of trash.

"What? But how's that gonna help me-"

"Shounen" All Might spoke softly, "unfortunately, you don't lift workout weights in battle. This can help you build up raw strength"

Izuku thought about it for a moment before nodding. They worked hard (mostly Izuku did but he didn't mind or complain) till afternoon when All Might decided that it was enough work for the day. Izuku thanked the hero and upon the latter's command, walked back home with a promise to be back the next evening.