Chapter Twenty-Six

CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

Margo laughed and smiled at Aideen. "That's right, sweetie! You get a cookie and a gold star!"

     "No..." Aideen said. "You can't be the one... All this time... Your own husband was killed over this!"

     "Yes, well, there were bound to be some casualties. He found out the truth, and had to be disposed of."

     "How can you be so heartless? My father helped you! He died to save your life!"

     "As I knew he would. It was the perfect setup. The poor fool couldn't resist saving a damsel in distress."

     "No!" Aideen tried to lunge at Margo, but Arnie stopped her.

     "Not yet," he whispered.

     "Why would you do this, Margo?" Aideen demanded.

     "Power, sweetheart. I'm the most powerful entity walking the earth right now, because I am the key to the apocalypse," Margo said. "And don't get any silly ideas about killing me. If you kill me, the key is released, and the tomb opens. The battle ends here, Aideen, and you and your friends lose."

     "Hey, lady," Joey said. Jade tried to stop him, but he walked away from her.

     "Joey, no," Jade said.

     "Lady, you no nice," Joey said. He was standing dangerously close to the tomb's entrance.

     Margo smiled at the child. "You're right, little boy, I'm not nice," she said.

     "I tell you secret?"

     "I suppose..." Margo looked confused as to why the child was talking to her, but she humored him anyway.

     "You come down, lady. I no yell so you hear it up there. Then all know."

     Margo rolled her eyes, but indulgently knelt beside the child. Joey whispered something in her ear. Margo's eyes went wide as Joey placed his hand on her heart. She screamed as Joey pulled the key's energy off of her. It began reforming as a key before everyone's eyes. Margo gasped for breath.

     "You make her go bye now," Joey said to Aideen.

     Aideen grinned. "My pleasure." She lunged at Margo. Margo tried to defend herself, but she was weak from the sudden separation of the key's energy from her own and she couldn't do much. Aideen wanted to hurt her, to cause her so much pain that she'd beg for death, but she stopped herself. Her father would not have wanted that. Her father would have wanted her to do it quickly and get the job done.

     "Say goodnight, Margo," Aideen said.

     "No... Please," Margo begged. Aideen had her pinned to the floor and she couldn't fight back. "Don't kill me... I'm your father's friend. Your mom's been leaning on me for support. She needs me."

     "She has me," Aideen said. "And I guess you didn't read the manual, but friends aren't supposed to kill each other." She pulled out her father's dagger. "You shouldn't have given this to me, Margo. Somehow, I think Dad would approve of how I've used it tonight, though." With that, she plunged the dagger into Margo's chest and watched her die.

      I hope you saw that, Dad, Aideen thought.

     "Deenie?" Arnie asked. "Are you okay?"

     "I'm fine," Aideen said. And she meant it.