Chapter Ten

CHAPTER TEN

Aideen was tired when she got home, and all she wanted to do was go to sleep. She was filled with a new energy, however, when she saw her father packing a suitcase.

     "Dad? Where are you going?" She asked him.

     "I have a lead on the whole 'tomb where the angels go to die' situation," Benny said.

     "Really?" Aideen was excited now. "What is it?"

     "One of the witches who used to live here in the early eighties is in California now. He is in possession of some historical documents about a place called l'endroit où les anges vont mourir. That's French for 'the place where the angels go to die.' I don't know if it's a tomb, but if it is, I'd say that's quite a solid lead."

     "Definitely! When are we leaving?"

     "We aren't. You're to stay here with your mother and sister. I am leaving in the morning."

     "Dad! You can't mean that!"

     "Aideen, you're fifteen years old, it's the start of a new school year, and this is far too dangerous. I have no idea where this journey will take me. You're not coming with me."

     "Dad, you can't leave me here when you're doing something this big. You need me."

     "Baby, it's not safe. I can't risk bringing you along this time."

     "We always work together."

     "Yes, we do, but not this time."

     Clarissa Phillips entered the room where Aideen and Benny were arguing. "I take it you told her?" She asked her husband.

     "Yes," Benny replied.

     "I told you she wouldn't like it."

     "Mom, tell him he can't do this without me," Aideen said.

     "I can't make that call, honey," Clarissa said.

     "Yes you can! You're my soul's mom, for God's sake! If you say I go, I go!"

     "And I'm your soul's cousin and your incarnation's father, Aideen. I get a say, too, and I'm putting my foot down on this," Benny said.

     "You're being so stupid! You need me, Dad!"

     "What I need is to keep you alive, baby."

     Courtney Phillips entered the room and studied everyone for a moment. "What's all of the fighting about?" She asked quietly. Courtney was Aideen's twin sister. The two were identical, except for the fact that Aideen's blonde hair currently had red streaks in it. The two were polar opposites in most ways, but they were extremely close to each other.

     "Dad's being an idiot," Aideen said.

     "I'm trying to do what's best for you, Deenie," Benny said.

     "He's going away on slayer business and he's not taking me."

     "How long will you be gone, Daddy?" Courtney asked.

     "I'm not sure, honey," Benny said.

     "When are you leaving?"

     "In the morning."

     "Dad, you've got to take me with you," Aideen insisted.

     "No. This matter is not up for discussion, Aideen. Alright?"

     Aideen cursed under her breath and stormed off to her bedroom. She was furious. How could her father go on a mission without her? He hadn't done that since she'd turned nine, and now, when she was old enough to be considered an adult slayer, he was going to start again? Aideen threw her pillow against her bedroom door angrily, and then threw herself onto her bed. She was in too much of a rage to sleep. She dialed a phone number.

     Arnie picked up on the third ring. "Come over. Now," Aideen said. She hung up without waiting for a response.

     Twelve minutes later, Arnie climbed in through Aideen's bedroom window. "What's wrong?" He asked.

     "Rage."

     "What happened?" He cautiously sat down next to her. Aideen explained the situation to him. "Okay, time for me to hit the off switch." He started stroking her hair. Aideen didn't really want him to calm her down, but he was always able to do it, so it didn't surprise her when he managed it yet again. She fell asleep in his arms without even realizing it.

     When Aideen awoke, it was to the sound of Courtney's hysterical sobs. She and Arnie sat on the stairs and watched, unseen, what was happening in the hallway.

     "Daddy, you can't leave," Courtney was saying. "Please!"

     "Baby, it's okay. I'll be home soon," Benny said.

     "No! I have a really bad feeling, Daddy. Please don't go."

     "I'll be okay. I'll check in as often as I can, okay? I have no choice, Courtney. I have to do this. I love you, baby."

     Courtney had her arms flung around her father, and she didn't let go for several moments.

     "Shouldn't you say goodbye to him?" Arnie asked Aideen. She looked at him with daggers in her eyes, and that was enough to tell him to back off of the subject. Aideen was still too furious with her father for not taking her along to speak to him. She stood up and walked back to her bedroom, with Arnie trailing along behind her. She watched from her window as her father got into his car and drove away. When she could no longer see him, she turned from the window and went back to bed. Arnie curled up next to her and held her, and only then did Aideen allow her emotions to hit her. She hated fighting with her father, and she began to silently cry. Arnie held onto her and stroked her hair until she fell asleep once more.