Chapter 12

"Damn, this the school you go to now? Or like a separate venue just for tonight?" Patience questions when we step out the car. "I knew they were living large over here but not like this. Now I gotta see how they decorated on the inside."

"Knowing this school, bougie as hell." I chuckle.  "And just know, there won't be any R&B music playing here so don't be looking for not Chris Brown or Kehlani to be played. Just pop."

"You should have told me that before, I'm leaving." Patience smiles drops and turns around, pretending to leave but when she nearly collides with Jordan. "My bad."

"It's cool. I shouldn't have been so close to begin with." Jordan says. "Uh, Ripley you can head inside, I'll be right in." Ripley rolls her eyes, shaking her head as she walk past us and into the school along with everybody else. "Can we talk?"

Patience tightens her arm around mine. "I'll come find you." I send her a smile, she nods her head but lingers around for a moment before walking off. "What do you want? What could you possibly want to talk about?"

"I've been thinking," he starts, "I think you owe me an explanation."

The audacity.

"Is it crack?" I question. "Seriously, is it crack you're on?"

"I just think we need to talk about what happened." He says. "I want you to look at everything from my perspective, you would have reacted the same way."

"No, I wouldn't. The explanation you're looking for, you could have gotten that night if you would have stop cutting me off and just listened."

"I'm listening now."

"Well, now's a little too late." I hiss. "And I don't owe you anything, let alone an explanation."

I don't care if he's listening now, he should have listened the other day when I was willing to give an explanation. But now too much has happened for me to just let this be water under the bridge. He got jealous about a hug with Cameron and him dropping off my necklace, which he would have known about if he would have stopped talking over me and overreacting. Then he had the nerve to ask out another girl to homecoming in front of me, yeah, it must be something stronger than crack that he's on.

I turn away from Jordan, hiking up my dress so that I don't trip over it and ruin this perfect walk away. That conversation wasn't going to lead anywhere productive, and I refuse to waste anymore time than I already did on it. Whether I was right or wrong in this situation I wasn't giving an explanation regardless, think whatever you want to. He could think what he wants to think, I don't care. And I'll be disrespecting myself if I stood there and actually explained myself to him, please.

Walking into the hallway, I head towards the gymnasium and outside the doors Patience waits. She pushes away from the wall as I walk towards her, she holds her hand out towards me and I take it. "An icon once said boys suck, that's why the lesbian population is rising."

"Since when was Snooki an icon?" I question. "Despite your icon taste, next time I start to develop a crush on someone in Beverly, please punch me in the face."

"Trust me." Patience chuckles. "I'll hold you to that."

Finally entreating the gymnasium, the room is transformed into a spectacle of glitz and glamour, with every corner adorned with elaborate decorations. Streamers in vibrant colors escape from the ceiling, creating a cascade of shimmering hues that dance with the light. At one end of the gym, a stage is set up for the DJ, surrounded by towering stacks of speakers. The dance floor, polished to a reflective shine, people already dancing to whatever pop artist was playing.