ix. CHAPTER SEVEN

~*~
Chapter Three: The Monster and the Superhero

     Mary sat in the road, head in her knees as she cried. She'd witnessed Vecna kill another teenager. This one she didn't know, but it didn't hurt any less. She could hear sirens and voices from the other world approach the crime scene from where she was sitting, but she knew he was too far gone to save. She wiped her nose, standing to leave with all of the noise going on. 

     "Miss Wheeler?" an echoing voice said. "You said he was by the picnic tables?" Mary stopped, turning to find the source of the noise. 

     "Yes, I already told all of this to Officer Daniels," Nancy's echoing voice said back. Mary smiled, tears threatening her eyelids as she stepped forward. 

     "Nancy!" she screamed, hoping the girl would hear her. "Nancy!" There was no response, Mary breathing heavily. She heard another car pull up, walking in the direction of that noise. 

     "Shit, she's already talking to the cops," Dustin said, Mary gasping at the sound of her brothers voice. 

     "Dustin!" she screamed, knees hitting the ground. "Dustin, it's me!" 

    "I'll go get her," Steve said. Mary continued crying, hearing the voices of everyone she loved. She was happy they were involved, but sad at the same time. 

     "What do you think she knows?" Robin asked. 

     "About as much as us," Billy said. Mary paused at the sound of his voice, blood running cold. 

     "Billy?" she said quietly. "Billy!" She hit the ground, tears leaving her eyes rapidly. "Billy!" She screamed as loud as she could, hoping he would hear her. 

     Billy perked up, hearing the faint calling of his name. He turned to look at Max who was just staring forward, then he looked at the ground. 

     "Do any of you hear that?" he asked, looking around. 

     "Don't tell us it's you, too, Hargrove," Robin said, Billy rolling his eyes. 

     "Billy, please! It's me! It's Mary!" she screamed at the top of her lungs. "Billy!!" She gasped, taking deep breaths as she couldn't scream for much longer. 

     Steve walked back over with Nancy, getting her in the car, climbing in the back. 

     "We need to go back to the trailer park for my car," Nancy said. 

     Mary sighed, pushing herself off the ground as the car started up. She began to run towards the trailer park. She had grown accustomed to running everywhere even with the dust particles, and it wasn't that far through the forest. She got there quickly, hearing the car doors shut. She ran that way, tracking their footsteps. She could hear them all sit at the bench, and she stood at the head of the table to listen. 

     "You're saying that this thing that killed Fred and Chrissy, it's from the Upside Down?" Nancy asked, looking confused from what they'd told her in the car. 

     "If the shoe fits," Steve said. 

     "Our working theory is that he attacks with a spell or a curse," Dustin shrugged. "Now, whether or not he's doing the bidding of the Mind Flayer or just loves killing teens, we don't know." 

     "All we know is this is something different," Max said with a nod. 

     "Something new. Doesn't make sense," Nancy shook her head.