vi. CHAPTER FOUR

~*~
warnings: mature language, mention of eating disorder, and graphic content/death

     Billy parked his car in the Hawkins High lot, looking to see everyone filing in to the game. He grabbed his ticket out of the glove compartment, getting out to go inside and find a seat. 

     "Holy shit, Hargrove!" a familiar voice called. He turned to see Steve was walking towards him with a blonde girl at his side. "When did you get back?" 

     "Ah, you missed a lot, Harrington," Billy said, shrugging slightly. They began walking, the girl at Steve's side looking confused. "California was a bust. Flunked out. Taking the semester at Hawkins Community. Gotta decide if I want to drop out after this or go back and retake everything." 

     "Shit, man, I'm sorry," Steve told him. "You've always got a couch to crash on at my place. I'm happy to see you, man." 

     "It's good to see you, too," Billy smiled. 

     "Oh, my god! I just remembered your name!" Steve's friend said. "You're Billy! I used to have the most massive crush on you!" 

     "Wow, uh... thanks," Billy said. "I-I'm sorry, I don't know you." 

     "I'm Brenda," she said, holding a hand out to shake. 

     "Right," Billy said, then looking at Steve who rolled his eyes. "Mind if I sit with you guys for the game?" 

     "Oh! Please join us," Brenda said quickly. 

     "You're too kind, Brenda," Billy said, nudging Steve who chuckled at him. They walked into the gym as the team was warming up, the two men turning to look at everyone. 

     "Does it bother you guys that, like, we might win a championship right after you graduated?" Brenda asked them, the two looking at each other. 

     "Yeah, that's an interesting point. Thank you so much for bringing that up, Brenda," Steve said, ushering her up the bleachers. They took their spots, Billy leaning over to Steve. 

     "You found a keeper, Harrington," he said, Steve shoving him back as Billy smiled at him. 

     "Everyone now please rise for our national anthem," Principal Higgins said, everyone rising from their seats. "Singing for us tonight, we have a very special guest. All the way from Nashville, our very own Tammy Thompson!" Steve's jaw dropped, and he looked to Robin who was also in shock. 

     "Who the hell is Tammy Thompson?" Billy asked, furrowing his eyebrows. 

     "A really bad singer," Steve whispered to him. "She sounds like a Muppet." Tammy began to sing, Billy snickering while Steve elbowed him. 

     "You're so right, man," Billy said. Steve mouthed the same thing to Robin before leaning back to Brenda. 

     "Wow. She sounds amazing, doesn't she?" Brenda asked. Steve and Billy looked at each other, smiling before looking back to Tammy. They sat through the rest of the dreadful performance before the game started. It was back and forth the entire time before the winning point was shot by Lucas. Everyone cheered and bombarded Lucas on the court, the school going insane. 

     Billy managed to slip out of the gym without anyone noticing, though. He told Steve he was going to get ahead of the drunk teenagers in the parking lot and began to walk to his car. He saw Eddie Munson walking out of the other school entrance, going to his van quickly. Billy furrowed his eyebrows, watching Chrissy Cunningham got in with him. 

     "What the fuck?" Billy said quietly. He got in his car and began to drive back to the trailer park, assuming he would see them there. 

     Max was sitting at home already, listening to the radio feed of the game. She was leaned forward, waiting for them to talk about the recap as she'd just tuned into the station.