25. Sylisa

I'm escorted to a small room in the palace, where I'm to await the outcome of the investigation. The room is sparse, not quite like a prison cell, but its walls are made of cold, grey stone, giving it a somber atmosphere. There are no windows, and the only source of light comes from a single torch mounted on one of the walls. The flame flickers, casting eerie shadows that dance across the room, bleak and unwelcoming, a stark contrast to the lavishness and opulence of the palace outside.

The door is locked behind me, and I'm left alone with my thoughts, which are only consumed by Castiel. Is he safe? Is he being accused of treason, just like me? My heart aches at the thought of him being punished.

As if on cue, there is a knock at the door.

"Who's there?" I call out tentatively.

"It's me, Deren," comes the familiar voice of Castiel's lieutenant. "I've come to check on you."

I feel a surge of gratefulness at the sound of his voice as I hurry to the door and press my palms against it.

"Thank you, lieutenant," I say. "Can you tell me what's happening?"

I lean in closer, nearly pressing my face against the wooden surface and add in a hushed voice, "Is Castiel okay?"

"He's fine," Deren says reassuringly. "He's been cleared of any wrongdoing. Lady Merise's accusations were baseless."

Relief floods through me, and I feel my shoulders sag with the weight of it.

"Thank the gods," I whisper heavily.

I'm dying to ask him more about Castiel, but I hold my tongue, knowing it's for the best that I don't know.

"But you're still being held," Deren continues. "The investigation is ongoing."

I nod, mostly to myself, with a sense of resignation. "I understand. Thank you for coming to see me."

"I'll be back to check on you soon, Lady Sylisa. In the meantime, try to get some rest."

With that, I hear his footsteps as he walks away, and I am left alone again. It brings me immense comfort that Castiel is safe since I could never forgive myself if anything were to happen to him. I lie down on the cot, trying to will myself to sleep. But my mind is too restless and full of questions and doubts about my own fate.

---

Hours pass, and I lose track of time. After an eternity, I hear footsteps approaching, and my heart races with anticipation. The door creaks open and King Leuko strides in followed by a few guards.

"Your Majesty," I quickly rise to my feet, bowing my head in respect.

Our eyes meet, and I try to gauge his mood or anything that will help indicate what he's about to do or if he's going to sentence me.

"Lady Sylisa, we have completed our investigation," he says, his voice more formal which makes me nervous.

"Yes?" I inquire, trying to keep my voice steady.

"Your innocence has been proven. The letters were indeed forgeries, and Lady Merise has been charged with slander and false accusations, and I have decided to banish her from the court," he reveals with a hint of satisfaction in his voice.

I feel a wave of relief wash over me, and I can't help but sigh and bow my head in gratitude. I know that Lady Merise may have been banished, but her influence and scheming ways are still present in the court. I must be careful and watchful, for the safety and stability of the court depend on it.

"Lady Sylisa, I owe you an apology," King Leuko says, turning his attention to me with soft blue eyes.

"There's no need, Your Majesty. I'm just glad that the truth has been revealed," I say, trying to sound composed.

"I want to assure you that your loyalty to me and the court has never been questioned. This is why we had an investigation because such slander against you shall not be tolerated. You have proven yourself to be a valuable asset to our kingdom," he declares with warmth and reassurance.

I part my lips to thank him, but he cuts me off.

"And I hope you will continue to serve us with the same dedication and loyalty...as queen," he continues with a knowing look.

My heart sinks at his words. With the investigation cleared, I'm now faced with a new reality, one that I have been simultaneously looking forward to and dreading since the day I arrived at the court. But I can't back out now without causing a scandal. I've just narrowly escaped punishment for treason, leaving me on thin ice, so rejecting this proposal is out of the question. I must put aside my own feelings and do what is best for the north.

"I...I will do my best to serve as your queen, Your Majesty," I say, my voice barely above a whisper.

The playful Leuko that I'm used to seeing resurfaces as he grasps my hands and showers my knuckles with kisses.

"Good. Then we shall begin preparations for the wedding, my dear. It will be a grand affair, befitting of our kingdom and its people," he exclaims with a smile.

As he and his guards leave the room, my heart clenches and squeezes with each pulse at the realization of what just happened. My throat turns dry as I'm swept up in a current of emotions. One moment, I'd been on the execution block, and the next, I became the future queen of the Northern Tundra and Southern Vale.

And as much as I try to push it away, my mind keeps returning to Castiel. I cannot help but wonder what he is doing, how he is feeling, and if he still cares for me. But I know that these thoughts must be buried deep within me as they will only bring pain and heartache. I must focus on my duties and do what is best for the kingdom, even if it means sacrificing my own happiness.

---

A/N: Hi, my loves! I've missed this story so so much, and it was nice to take a break from school to whip out this chapter for you guys. I'm excited to show you what Leuko's proposal means for Sylisa's (and Castiel's) future. Thank you all for being here and enjoying my story. The support means the world to me!