Darling | Thomas Bordeleau

Start from the beginning

"It doesn't matter. What does matter is that I saw you crying. C'mon, let me in." He tries to open the door, but it doesn't budge due to it being locked.

I unlock and slowly open it, peeking out at Thomas, whose eyebrows are furrowed in concern. That concern just makes all of this even harder for me, and the tears start falling faster. "Oh, darling, c'mere." Thomas coos, pulling me into his arms and leading me over to my bed.

"I—you need to go. You can't—you shouldn't see me like this." I protest, even as he pulls me closer and I bury my face against his shoulder.

"You're not pushing me away. Something is really tearing you apart right now, and I'm going to help you through it. You won't convince me otherwise. Now, cry as much as you need to, and then you can tell me what happened." He assures me, stroking my hair. He slowly lays down, holding me around the waist so I can't go anywhere. I curl up against him, letting out all the tears. I've never been close with Thomas, but I need someone right now, and he's offering to be that someone.

Once I've calmed down, I realize how embarrassed I should be. I just broke down crying in my brother's best friend's arms. What is wrong with me?

"What did the pillow do to you?" Thomas teases, his attempt to lighten the mood.

"It smells like him."

He clears his throat. "Well, then it's a good thing that I'm here to be your personal pillow. Now, what happened?" He asks, turning serious as he lifts my head so my eyes meet his.

"Harrison and Madeline." I say simply.

His mouth falls open. "Your best friend?"

I nod and shift slightly so I'm not laying on top of him anymore, but I keep my head resting on his shoulder as I absentmindedly play with his fingers.

"That asshat." He hisses.

I laugh quietly. "I already called him that."

Thomas laughs, too. "That's my girl. How'd you find out? Did you see them?"

"Yeah. I went to go surprise him, since we got back a day earlier than expected and I wanted to see him. I said hi to Heather and talked to her for a minute, and then I went up to his room and saw him making out with Madeline on his bed."

He shakes his head. "I can't believe that. I'm sorry, darling. You don't deserve that. No one does, but especially not you. He's a jackass for hurting you. I'm gonna beat the shit out of him the next time I see his punk ass."

"He's not worth it." I tell him with a sigh.

Thomas runs a hand through my hair soothingly. "He doesn't deserve you. I knew from the beginning that he would fuck it up. I'm surprised it's taken him this long."

I roll my eyes. "Why are you here, anyway? I know Jacob isn't home, or else he would have been in here before you."

"He and I had plans to hang out, but he ditched me for Megan. I was about to leave when you got here, but I needed to make sure you were alright." He explains. "Are you? You know, alright?"

"I don't know." I admit.

He wraps an arm around my waist, using his free hand to rub my back. "Well, then I guess I'll just have to stay to make sure you are."

I tilt my head back to look at him. "Then can you stay the night? I don't want to be alone."

"Of course I will. I'll take care of you. Just let me call Mom real quick and let her know I won't be home." I nod and continue to lay with him as he calls his mom, making an excuse and saying he's staying over at Jacob's, which is true, but she thinks that he's spending time with my brother, not taking care of me.