Same place, same time?

Writer

Writer

She held, with all her power, her tears from leaving her eyes. Her sight was now blurry but she didn't make any move to wipe the tears away. Her glance fell on her shaking fingers that were laying on the table. She felt her whole world falling apart.

She closed her eyes and when she opened them again her glance was blank, empty. All these emotions that were overwhelming to her before, were now gone. The only thing she felt was that pain in her lungs from holding her breath along with her tears.

She got out of her head once the applause started. She looked up, to the stage, staring at the guy's movements. He smiled at the people in front of him and placed his microphone a bit lower, so at now was in the right height.

He smiled once again, took his guitar in his hands and played a song that Julie has never heard before.

Despite the knot on her throat, she focused on the stranger that was singing in a random restaurant. With each chord, he traveled her to a world without this knot, without shaking hands and, mostly, without this unbearable pain she was feeling.

Her eyes were stuck on him while he was enjoying each note, each lyric. He had his eyes closed and sang each word like he meant it.

And that was enough to make Julie feel something different.

Different from the usual feelings she's been having.

The song ended and everyone clapped their hands, congratulating him. She smiled widely feeling a little sad that the song ended. But then the next song followed and she kept listening to this boy's voice until the restaurant closed.

And Julie stayed until the last note by a table among dozens of others. But she was the only one who couldn't take her eyes off the boy on the stage.

(...)

The next day, she searched the restaurant's name on the internet and when she came upon a announcement about the young Luke Patterson who's gonna be playing music three times a week, she couldn't stop the excitement that got her.

Once the time arrived, she fixed her curly hair for the last time and grabbed her bag. The voices of her boyfriend and his friends weren't enough to stop her. Instead, she ignored them as she passed the living room and only when he called her name, she turned.

"Yes?", she said. She was hoping that this time, she would just let her go.

"Were are you going?", his eyes still stuck on the tv in front of him, as his friends were making inappropriate jokes about some girls they met the other night.

"To eat with my father. I won't be late.", she came up with a lie to avoid any misunderstanding. She didn't have the strength to fight today.

"Bring beers on your way home.", he simply stated and with a sigh she left the house.