44. treasure

Because most of the kids were adopted at an older age, the topic about adopting other children when they aged often came up especially when foster children came to live with the family. A lot of the time, the foster kids would grow to love their foster family and would beg to be adopted. Chuck and Maia made it a point to keep in touch with the other families who would eventually adopt the children they fostered. Stevie once said that they were the "extended-extended family".

"Mom, did you ever think about adopting kids with special needs?" Maia was often asked.

"Naisip ko din. Pero mas madaming responsibilidad na kasama sa pag-aalaga ng batang special. Kadalasan, hindi lang physical yung disability nila e. May mga medical conditions din sila."

"Pero what if?"

"Tatanggapin ko pa rin sya. Mamahalin, aalagaan. Blessing ang bawat bata."

"We'd love them like we love and care for each and every one of you." Chuck added.

---

All the adopted and foster kids had chores to do around the house. Maia and Chuck made sure that everyone pitched in even if they had helpers around. Like anyone, chores were the least activity they liked doing.

After taking the laundry and emptying the bathroom trashcans, the one assigned this chore would also be responsible for taking said trash to the bins outside. The neighborhood where they lived had a schedule of when and what type of trash would be collected on assigned days. Wednesdays were for garden trash like big pieces of wood and leaves; Thursdays for general garbage which were already properly segregated; Tuesdays and Fridays for food wastes. Chores were also done in rotation so that everyone got to do their part.

"Ayayay! Binato na naman siguro nina Kuya yung basurahan!" Robi said as he and his siblings walked from the bus stop on their way home. He walked ahead of everyone else, so he saw the garbage bins lying on its side. He rushed toward it and stood them upright.

"Anong nangyari?" Patpat asked as she helped fix the lids on properly.

"Binato na naman siguro."

"Hmm...baka naman may mga pusang nag-try magkalkal ng basura." Frankie said, picking up a rock that they put on top of the garbage cans to prevent cats from rummaging through the trash.

"May nakita akong gawa nung isang Manang dun sa kabilang street...' Frankie added.

"Ano?"

"Mamaya na yan. Pasok muna tayo at baka hanapin na tayo nina Mommy." Maki said. She was the last to join the group.

"Hmm...gutom na rin ako!" Rocky said.

"Lagi ka namang gutom e." Stevie chuckled.

---

About an hour later, Frankie went out again with some empty ice cream tubs. "Anong gagawin mo dyan?" Pipay asked. She went to the kitchen to drink water.

"Ipapatong ko dun sa mga basurahan."

"Huh?"

"Nilagyan ko ng konting dishwashing soap. Lalagyan ko ng tubig tapos ipapatong ko dun sa mga basurahan. Mag-d-dalawang isip ang pusa kung lalapitan nya o tatabigin nya to lalo kung may tubig na."

"Ay wow! Sige, tulungan na kita."

"Tara!" Frankie invited her and they both filled the tubs with water and placed them on top of the garbage bins. They moved away and soon noticed a cat come close and inspect the 'new' thing on top of the bins. When it took a swipe at the bin, some water splashed and frightened the cat. It immediately jumped off the bins and run away. Frankie and Pipay were amused at what happened.

Amazed at Frankie's idea, Pipay gave him a high five. "Ayos!"

"O tara na sa loob. Nagawa mo na ba yung math homework mo?" Frankie asked.

"Sisimulan ko pa lang." Pipay replied. They were in the same class.

"Patulong naman."

"Okay."

As they turned to walk back into the house. They heard a cry. Thinking that it was just a cat, Frankie went inside the house. Pipay was intrigued so she walked back to where the sound seemed to be coming from.

Pipay wondered why there were carton boxes that had not been collected. "Ah, nakalimutan na naman itali. Hindi nga kukunin nina Kuya basurero yan..." she thought to herself. The crying didn't stop and seemed to get louder as she approached the pile of boxes. She carefully opened the box on top of the pile and was surprised to see a moving bundle! It was an infant who seemed to have just been born judging from the bloody towel it was laid on, and the umbilical cord still attached.

Surprised by the baby in the box, Pipay screamed which startled the baby and made it cry even more. The loud noise made almost everyone inside the house come out immediately. Pipay had managed to pick the baby up from the box. It stopped crying as it lay comfortably in her arms.

"Anong nangyari?" Frankie asked. He stayed in the kitchen after reentering the house. He wondered why Pipay didn't follow him inside. He was also the first to run out when he heard Pipay scream.

"Pi?" Maia said as she approached the others who were circled around Pipay.

"Mom..." Pipay said, holding out the infant in her arms to Maia.

Maia took the infant and ordered everyone to go back inside. Chuck and some of the boys stayed outside to investigate. Having had experience with all kinds of children while working at the orphanage, Maia cleaned the baby up a little and decided to take it to the hospital first. Maia then interviewed Pipay about what happened and how she found the infant. The infant stayed in the hospital for a few days before it was brought to the orphanage.