3. party

Sister Berna gave Chuck the details about the upcoming party. "Since we are a little low on funds, we have at least one celebration per month for the kids' birthdays instead of having several parties. Masyadong magastos at nakakapagod kung isa-isa silang magpparty."

"But how about the months when there's just one or two kids having their birthdays?"

"We combine them with the other months na konti din ang may birthday"

"Hmm. Makes sense. My Nana is very active with the church back in Vancouver. I used to attend Sunday school and served at the Children's Mass."

"Yes, that's what Mother Carmela told me. Kapatid sya ng Nana Linda mo, diba?"

"Yes. Honestly, the joke among Nana's church friends is that she's their Mother Superior because she enjoys spending time with the Brothers and Priests of our parish there."

"Ah talaga? Nakakatuwa naman"

"I already contacted the sorbetero. Actually, it was my bestfriend who contacted the guy. He'll be bringing his cart there at around 3pm"

"Okay! Naku! Excited na ang mga bata! Maraming salamat talaga!"

"You're welcome. Its it okay if my bestfriend tags along?"

"Oo naman. Volunteers are always welcome."

"Sam's actually does party hosting on the side. I'll ask him if he can do the hosting"

"Naku! Mahal yan!"

"Don't worry about it. I'll take care of it." Chuck said.

---

Maia, her parents, and Mang Efren arrived at the orphanage at a little before 3:00pm. "Kailangan pa namin kumpunuhin yung kariton ni Pareng Efren. Binaklas kasi namin yung mga gulong para magkasya sya sa likod jeep." Tatay Dodong said to Sister Berna who excitedly welcomed them to the orphanage compound.

Maia's family used to live in the community near the orphanage. Maia's first friends were the orphan-residents of the orphanage. As a family, they attended regular Sunday mass at the church near the orphanage. On many occasions, Tatay Dodong would drive for the Sister or Nanay Maring would help out in the orphanage events. As Maia grew older, she would volunteer at the orphanage on weekends. The children loved her and so did the nuns.

"Ate Meng!" the kids shouted when they saw her come down from the jeep. The older kids immediately helped in carrying things inside.

Maia took Gelo from Patricia, who was carrying him on her back. "Nasaan ang wheelchair mo?" Maia asked as she carried the boy inside.

"Binigay nila kay Kuya Marlon."

"Eh di wala kang wheelchair?"