9. shoebox

"Merry Christmas!" Mommy, Daddy, and Dino greeted Chuck via video chat. "Where did you celebrate?" Mommy asked.

"I started doing volunteer work at the orphanage where Lola Madre is the Mother Superior"

"Oh really? That's wonderful! How is she?"

"She's good. She and Nana get to talk often, I think. Speaking of which, where is she? Where's Nana?"

"She and Gino just arrived from church..." Mom said.

"Yeah, Bro. She's been busy with the Brothers and Priests, too, you know..."

"Hmm...that's good to know. Thanks for the Christmas present. I just checked my account yesterday"

"I was so worried that if I got you something, it might not reach there on time and you know how expensive overseas shipping can be"

"No worries, Mom. Thanks!"

"He gets cash while I get a shirt?"

Chuck chuckled at Dino's remark. He knew that Dino also got some cash as a Christmas present. Their parents have been giving them cash or gift checks since they graduated from college. Plus, both his and Dino's apartments were partly sponsored by their parents.

"How's life back there? How's the weather?" Dad asked.

"It's been pretty cool. Sam says that it's normally like this around this time of the year."

"Lucky you! I had to shovel up to the sidewalk again! Third time this week!" Dino groaned. In the background, a girl with an infant in her arms crossed.

"Hi Kim! Merry Christmas!" Chuck waved.

"Oh hi! Merry Christmas!" Kim approached the screen and greeted. She raised the baby to the screen, "Merry Christmas!"

"Merry Christmas, Jacob!" Chuck greeted. "Are you guys at Mom and Dad's?" Chuck asked Dino.

"Yeah, in the basement. We're basically snowed in for the next week..."

"Sucks to be you!"

"No kidding! But hey, I hear it'll get pretty warm there come summer time"

"That's what I've been told." Chuck groaned.

"Anyway, what are your plans for your birthday?" Dino asked.

"Oo nga, Jay, what are you doing for your birthday?" Mom asked. As a child, Mom would always organize parties for both Dino and Chuck. As the boys grew older, they would normally have dinner with family and then celebrate with friends.