25. reconnecting

"Meng!"

"Betchay!"

"Long time, no see! Kamusta ka na?" Betchay, Maia's highschool classmate, learned that Maia was in Vancouver and was able to meet up with her. Maia introduced Betchay to Chuck's family.

"You girls have fun. Dad wants me to check something at the office" Chuck said when Betchay invited him to join them for a day out.

"Lizzie na ang tawag sa akin dito."

"Lizzie?"

"Short for Elizabeth. Sa ospital, Lizzie ang tawag sa akin ng mga taga-dito pero, yung mga kasamahan kong Pinoy, Betchay pa rin ang tawag sa akin. Pero, yung mga housemates ko, mga nurse din, 'Betchay' ang tawag sa akin sa bahay."

"Mga Pinoy din?"

"Kami lang ni Ana ang Pinoy, si Jenny, French-Canadian, si Ilse, German, si Ha-Eun, Korean"

"Anim kayo sa bahay?"

Betchay nodded. "Share kami sa renta. SIguro nadala ka na nung asawa mo sa karamihan ng tourist spots dito sa Vancouver, ano?"

"Di ko pa sya asawa..." Maia replied. The first week of their trip had Maia stay mostly at home while Chuck and Mommy Rose took care of Daddy Rick. Chuck would sometimes take her along when he'd go to the drugstore or supermarket. The area of the house was very near a park which had a lot of small shops so they spent many afternoons strolling there.

"Di pa?"

"Sa December pa ang kasal namin. Biglaan lang yung uwi nya dito sa Canada kasi nagkasakit yung Daddy nya"

"Ah. Si Nanay, nagtatahi yun ng mga damit. Eto o" Betchay showed Maia some of the dresses her mom makes in Cavite.

"Hmm...wala pang damit si Nanay..."

"Sabihan mo lang ako at itatawag ko kay Nanay. Or, better yet, ibigay ko yung number nya para kayo na mag-usap" Betchay said. "Marunong kang magmaneho?"

Maia glanced at Betchay and shook her head. Betchay brought Maia to a lake-side restaurant and rented a boat so they could relax and talk for a while before lunch. Betchay giggled.

"Sa totoo lang, takot ako sa malalim na tubig" Maia said softly. She was already feeling anxious when they first approached the marina. It was only then that Betchay realized that Maia was scared; Maia was pale-faced and was clutching tightly to her life-jacket.

"Bakit di mo sinabi agad?" Betchay carefully turned the boat around and sailed back to the marina.

"Magaling ka naman mag-drive e. Atsaka first time kong makasakay ng speedboat..." Maia said when they reached the restaurant and ordered their lunch.