Chapter Thirty Four

Start from the beginning

I'm trapped in a chair in the middle of this gods damned cell. My wrists and ankles shackled down.

"Would you like to talk about your problems?" Tartarus offers in false sympathy.

"Like I care about my problems. They are irrelevant." I snarl.

"How cute. You're in denial. You poor thing." Tartarus chuckles.

"What do you really want from me? Annabeth just wants to make me suffer as I understand that all evil monsters and immortals want the same thing. But forever? I thought you were more creative. Why am I really here?" I ask.

"Smarter than we were informed." Tartarus compliments. "You're right but I won't tell you that." He slaps me across the face and I feel the welt rising on my right cheek. "I love hurting you especially. So delightful. Well, right now, I want to control you, but first I need to break you. It should be easy enough. No one has withstood me for more than three months down in this place."

He drives his hand into my abdomen and a huge, gaping hole is left there when he takes his hand away. He does the same thing to my chest and my body is in shock. My lungs won't function and I can't find my heart. I start gasping for air.

"So, what will it take to get you to join me, my cause?" Tartarus asks as I start to breathe normal again and the holes in my chest are allowed to heal and close up.

This time he sticks knives into all my pressure points and eventually in decorated all over with them. Blood pours from my mouth in waterfalls. "I won't...break....so...easily." I cough out and draw in haggard breaths.

"Is that so? You are strong willed for a demigod. I am most interested to see how long that stubborn will of the sea will last down here." Tartarus chuckles and takes my ace in one hand, making me look at him as I struggle to fight for survival. "So much like your father it makes me sick."

"I hate Poseidon. If I ever see him again, I'll kill him myself." I manage to force out. His eyes widen and he laughs heartily, still holding my face.

"My, my. Maybe I should get to know about your problems or I could go to Annabeth." He says mockingly and I growl. "How far the mighty have fallen. Clear down in your own personal hell. I'm so glad I get to personally oversee it. I'll enjoy taming you. The sea is the most fun to break."

"Monster." I splutter out.

Flashback End

"The sea is the most fun to break...but why?" I speak aloud.

All conversation stops and Artemis puts one of her hands on my own. "Perseus? Is everything all right?" The girls look at me sadly and I think a few recognize the line.

'Because it is so restless and wild, young pawn.' A voice cackles in my head. 'Before I am forced to save my energy, I have a message for you.'

I clutch my head at the searing pain as Corruption's voice reverberates through it as he speaks.

"What do you want?" I ask through gritted teeth.

"Percy!" Thalia exclaims.

'Oh, I want what I told you before. I want you, kneeling before me, my loyal servant. My little pawn, my knight, and I your king. My brother just makes you a bigger target, and my nephew...well, he is now going to try to contact you to help you. All because I am rising, just because your soul started to shatter. Your soul was like the key to my prison and I want that key to be loyal to me. Because with you, you can seal away an immortal forever and all because of your purity. It makes me sick how bright you are, drawing the attention of all you cross. It's impossible for you to be invisible and Void just made that idea all the harder for you to pull off. That mark on your soul...he's marked you for what you are and he will meet you one day. I hope you see how awful my brother and his son are. You'll see in time that my side is the best side. I will personally see to your demise on the battlefield.' Each word sends pain coursing through my body, but my head feels like it is about to explode.

I feel his presence leave my mind and retreat to Tartarus. He weakened himself by talking to me. He couldn't have stayed any longer. I rub a hand over my face and everybody breathes out a sigh in relief. A hand rests on my back and I look over, straight into Artemis's eyes. I search them and see that intelligence passes through hers as she studies mine.

"You're still hurt." She says.

I shake my head. "No, but Corruption sending me a message was painful. It will pass. I am fine."

"What did he tell you?" Phoebe asks, curious but worried immensely.

I repeat word for word what he told me and they all listen intently. But they look confused and grim. "So, he wants you?" Thalia sums it up.

"Yes." I nod in confirmation.

"Anything else?" Artemis asks.

"The world, but I don't plan on letting him have anything." I growl out the last part of the sentence.

Rick Riordan owns PJO/HOO. Tell me what you think! I've got a surprise for you next chapter!