Chapter 2

It was now the beginning of Summer and I was so glad that school was finished. I still didn't have friends. Everything around the house was still the same. Susan trying to get me to open up, and dad telling me to stop being such a drag. But being me, I don't want anything to do with anyone right now. The blonde girl who was flirting with that cute boy who I found out that his name was Benny, wanted me to hang out with her and her friends. But I kindly rejected. The rejection made me her biggest enemy and now she hates me. I found out that her name was Lucy. Scotty had been following Benny and his gang. He wants to play baseball with them. It was morning and the first day of summer. I got up, got changed into my high-waisted shorts, and a t-shirt. I put my white high-top converse on and made my way to the dining room for breakfast.

"Hello, Elizabeth. Any plans for today?" Susan asked kindly.

With all the times I have been treating her unkindly, she's still kind to me. I know deep down she wants to be my mother. But she will never be my mother. All my emotions are wrapped up just because of my mother's death and I just don't want to have anything to do with anyone. No one can help me. I wish someone could, but no one could. I'm a mess in my head. But I act like I'm okay by just being bitter to everyone.

"Elizabeth?" Susan asked breaking my thoughts. I glanced up at her and shrugged my shoulders.

I noticed Scotty leaving and I decided to follow him because I had nothing better to do. He was sprinting to a place where I noticed was a baseball diamond. This place looked amazing. Hot, but amazing. I stayed hidden and watched as the boys were playing. They were actually really good. There was only eight of them, so they didn't have a full team. I noticed the cute boy Benny hit the ball and it was flying towards Scotty. I thought Scotty was going to catch, but he ended up falling on his butt causing all the boys except Benny to laugh at him. 

I quickly ran to Scotty to help him. He was embarrassed. His face was red and he looked like he wanted to run away. The boys were yelling for him to hurry up and get the ball. I heard a noise by the fence and got the chills. When Scotty got the ball, he positioned himself to throw it. But I knew with that position, it wasn't going to get anywhere. When he let go, it landed not even close to any of the boys. The boys just burst out laughing causing Scotty to run away. I looked at all of the boys and glared.

"What are you looking at, skirt?" A boy with glasses asked me in a flirty manner.

"Let me see, a bunch of squares," I replied bitterly then left all them with there mouths open.

When I got back home, I went to Scotty's room, but he told me to leave him alone. I sighed and went to my room. After dinner, I showered and went to bed. The next morning, I was watching TV, then heard Scotty groaning in pain. I went into the dining room and noticed Scotty with a slice of meat on his eyes. My dad was apologizing about their little practice of catch.

"Hey, you okay?" I asked as my dad and Susan left the dining room. Scotty just nodded.

"My dad wasn't hard on you right?" Scotty just shook his head no in response.

The next day, I wanted to play board games so I went outside to ask Scotty since he was sitting out there.

"Hey Scotty, do-" I stopped when I noticed Benny was standing there. We both just stared at each other.

"I'm gonna go to the Sandlot with Benny. Wanna come?" Scotty asked with excitement.

"Um, no it's-"

"Come on, Liz. All you've been doing was staying in. Why don't you have some fun," Scotty replied.

"Because Scotty, I don't want to have fun and make friends. You know how I feel about baseball right now," I said then ran into the house slamming the front door.

I ran straight to my room and cried. It was about 11:00 a.m. when I finished crying and I was hungry. When I got to the living room, the house was empty. I noticed waffles on the counter. Susan is such a caring lady. I really do need to start treating her with respect. I heard the front door open and shut. Susan walked in with groceries. She smiled when she saw me eating. I smiled back slightly.

"Hi, is there more groceries? Do you need help?" I asked

"No dear, I got the rest. Just finish eating breakfast. Thank you though," she responded. As she left, I noticed that she had a smile on her face. I guess this was a start to being nicer.

As she came in with the rest of the groceries, I washed all the dishes. I was deep in thought about everything. I always thought my life was a mess, but it wasn't. I still have a family. I still have my dad. My mom would always be with me no matter what. I can't let her death bring me down and keep me from the one thing that I love, which is softball.

"Elizabeth, are you okay? You're spacing out?" Susan asked as she shut off the water of the sink for me.

"I'm okay, just was thinking about my life." She nodded understanding all the pain I went through.

"Susan, I wanted to apologize for all the times I was rude to you. I just let my bitter emotions get the best of me."

"Oh dear, it's alright. You've been through so much. I understand. Just know I'll always be here for you. I don't want to just  be a mother to you, but also a friend." She smiled kindly.

"I'd really like that."

"You should go to the sandlot with Scotty and his friends. He told me earlier how you were so hurt about the mention of making friends, having fun, and playing baseball."

"I don't know. They are all boys and I don't think they would accept me."

"Well, just prove them wrong." She winked.

"I don't know if I should play again. It reminds me too much of mom."

"Just think of it as a way of being with your mother. Never give up on something you love."

I nodded then went to my room to get my glove. When I opened the box, I started to cry, but a hand on my back stopped me from crying. It was from Susan. I smiled sightly at her then grabbed my glove. I put my red cinnamon colored hair into a high ponytail, then grabbed my black and white hightop P.F. Flyers to put on. After I was ready, I looked at the clock and saw that it was 11:45 a.m. I made my way to the sandlot to make new friends.