Chapter 14

I was awoken to a knock on my window. As I stood up, I went to my window and pulled the curtain to see Benny standing there with a smirk on his face. As I opened my window, I gave him a slight glare for waking me up.

"Why are you waking me up before my alarm clock?" I asked tiredly.

"I just spoke to your brother. I had a dream last night. Get to the sandlot when you're finished getting ready." I wasn't really paying attention to what he was saying since I was still sleepy.

"Huh?" I asked dazed. "I only got the part when you said to get to the sandlot."

"Babe, you really need to wake up. Just get to the sandlot and I'll explain."

"Well imagine having someone come early in the morning waking you up," I said sarcastically with my eyebrows knitted together and nose scrunched up like a child.

"Ellie, you are so so cute. I love you," he said but widened his eyes when he realized what he just said.

"Whah?" I was supposed to say what but it ended up being mixed with huh. Benny still had the same look on his face.

"Never mind. Sorry, forget I said that. Just go get ready. I'll see ya at the sandlot," he said and with that, he ran out of my yard.

As I was waiting for Scotty to finish up in the bathroom, I couldn't stop thinking about what Benny just told me. We weren't even dating that long and he loves me. Did he really mean it? Do I love him? We are both still so young. It can't be love. Can it? My thoughts were broken when Scotty walked out.

"Benny came to your window too?" Scotty asked to which I nodded.

"I'm gonna head there. It sounded pretty urgent. I'll see ya there," Scotty said walking.

Instead of responding, I just went into the bathroom and got ready. When I got back to my room, I looked deep in my closet for the clothes I put away that reminded me of my mom. I took out a light pink dress that my mom loved on me. I remember when she said when I ever go on a date with a boy that I love, to wear that dress. I didn't ask her what the reason was, but now I wish I did ask her. I put the dress back and grabbed the blue jeans and a white t-shirt. I took out my pair of black and white high-top converse and put them on. I had a feeling we weren't playing baseball today so I just left straight to the sandlot. When I got there, I saw that everyone was there, but Benny.

"Where is Benny?" I asked the boys. They all shrugged.

"I'm right here," I heard a voice that gave me the feeling of deja vu of when he told me I owe him a date if he made a home run. I smiled at the memory.

"What's going on?" I asked curiously. I noticed that he had the box of P.F. Flyers that I bought him in his hand.

He walked in front of the fence of where The Beast was. I had a clear feeling he was going to jump the fence to get the ball. But why? He like the rest of the boys were scared of the dog behind there. What made Benny want to do it? Benny started taking off his old P.F. Flyers and putting on the new ones.

"We can't let him do this man," Kenny said to all of us.

All the boys looked at Benny as he finished up tying his shoes. He got back up and started walking towards the broken down car by the fence. I suddenly ran to Benny.

"Benny, why are you doing this?" I asked quickly. Before he could reply, Scotty spoke.

"Wait, Benny. It's okay. This was my fault. You don't gotta do this."

"Yeah Benny man. Come on. You don't gotta do it. Just forget it," Squints said. Everyone starting agreeing.

"It's like committing suicide. Don't do it," Squints said again.