Chapter one - Beyond The Night

En başından başla

Finn has been through too much, he should not be seeing him like this. The last time, Finn caught Ronan was with a gun, a single bullet loaded into the magazine, and an empty whiskey bottle laid next to him in his home. He grabbed it out of Ronan's grasp before he even thought about using it.

"Tell me about Amy, Ronan. You two were like two peas in a pod. How long were the two of you married?"

Of course, he knew, nevertheless, he wanted to keep his brother's mind distracted.

"Twelves years." Ronan nodded, his eyes no longer staring at his brother as he thought of her.

"We met at Smith's bar, I just finished a case, I was new to the service and she was out with her friends. God, she was beautiful. I was too nervous to talk to her. Not long later I saw a man rob her purse. I chased him down and returned it to her. She asked me for my name and how she loved my accent. It ended with her giving me her number and it went from there. Six years later we were married." His heart was beating heavily and he could feel his body shake.

"You were excited for me to have met her, do you remember that? You told me you loved her and how happy she made you."

A sob escaped Ronan's lips as he whispered "Yes."

Finn inched closer. "Do you remember what she looks like?"

He was trying to divert his brother's attention so he could get closer.

"She had the greenest eyes, green as a forest, and her hair was as brown as a chocolate river. She was nearly a whole foot shorter than me and we would always joke about it. Her laugh was like music to my ears. She did not care what people thought about her. She wanted to make the city better, safer for others, and-"

Finn sucked in a deep breath and grabbed him, dragging him from the ledge. Ronan screamed in protest and fought against him as Finn crashed into the roof holding him tightly. He may be shorter than his brother, but there was no way in hell he was going to let go.

"Sshh, I've got you now, It's okay let it out, I've got you."

He whispered calm things as Ronan cried. He wanted them back. He wanted his family back. It wasn't fair. Finn did nothing but listen.

This was the first time in months that Ronan had cried. The bottle of emotions he once held was now flooding all over the place. Ronan was still Finn's big brother. He may be younger, but he would never let any harm come to him. He placed one of his brother's arms over his shoulder as he pulled him off the ground, his hand placed in front of his chest to prevent him from falling. It wasn't easy because of the height difference but he kept his balance. He will talk to him once he sobers up.

He helped him back to his apartment and laid him down on his bed, getting him comfortable. Finn took his shoes off and placed a blanket over him.

"Thank you, Finn," Ronan whispered as he snuggled into the pillow and his eyes fell shut.

"Get some rest. I'll speak to you in the morning."

Finn looked around the room. Papers were everywhere, notes were stuck to the wall, and empty beer bottles were scattered all over the floor.

It took the death of his sister-in-law, niece, and nephew for Finn to realise how Ronan handled his emotions. Growing up, Finn saw him as a hero, someone who could never be messed with. He looked after him, drove him to school, taught him how to fight bullies, and made his meals. He was strong even when their Mother and Father died. He joined the police and worked his way up to detective. He was strong, smart, and an overall badass. He helped Finn get his education as an English teacher and made him work hard even when he wanted to give up. He sacrificed his own time just so Finn could be happy.

But now he realised Ronan was just wearing a mask, a façade that made sure he or others did not see how he felt. The death of his family broke that mask and he can tell Ronan is trying to build it up again so nobody helps him. He hated help, and always believed he should be keeping others safe. No matter the things going on in his head, the dark thoughts and the horrific memories he encountered. He'd always put others first.

Finn undid his tie and top button before sitting on the wooden chair by the bed.

"I'm sorry. I wish I realised sooner big brother. From this day on, I'll look after you just as you did for me".

He kept watch over his brother for the rest of the night.

°°°°°°°

A/N

Okay... so I haven't written anything in years. I used to write a lot on here but deleted them back in 2020 as I didn't like them. Kinda regret it as a lot of you were mad at me.... haha... oops. But ah well. I'm back. Forgot how much I enjoyed it. Did you guys like it? Wanted to make it interesting, something that may get you guys intrigued. Might go over it. Got ideas on how this could play out. Let me know what you think.

Till the next Chapter my friends...