6 | bye bye little guy

༶•┈┈┈┈┈┈୨♡୧┈┈┈┈┈•༶

( bye bye little guy )

༶•┈┈┈┈┈┈୨♡୧┈┈┈┈┈•༶

Toni couldn't believe herself. She hated Steve Rogers, she couldn't stand him, especially not in her own timeline.

And this wasn't a meeting of chance, it wasn't universe fucking with her. Because how could it be a meeting of chance if she was in his room, the one she snuck into, to see him before they used the serum on him tomorrow.

She thought about turning around and walking away. But then coming all the way here would go to waste so she decided against it.

"You should be sleeping, soldier." Toni said, leaning against the door frame and looking at Steve who was sitting up and drawing in a sketch book that was placed in his lap.

Steve jumped like he had seen a ghost but Toni couldn't blame him. He expected to be alone and she was pretty quiet when she came in so it made sense that he didn't hear her.

"Agent Potts . . . hello." Steve blushed, shutting his sketch book quickly and putting it under his pillow. "I couldn't sleep. Must the nerves."

Toni nodded, biting down on her bottom lip. "Must be," she repeated. "You an still call me Toni, you know? Just don't let Phillips catch you or I'll never hear the end of it."

Steve smiled at her. He moved to the side to make more place on the bed and nervously tapped it with his hand. "You should sit down. If — If you want to, of course."

She shook her head. "No, I should let you rest. Big things are waiting for you tomorrow." She used her hands to smooth down her skirt, "I just came to see how you were doing and to let you know that you will be going with me and Agent Carter, tomorrow."

"Right, of course, thank you." He said nervously. She turned around and was already half way out of the door when he said his next sentence. "Good night, Toni."

In the comforting darkness of his room that she knew would keep her secret if she ever dared to make it known she whispered back, "Good night, Stevie."

"I know this neighborhood." Steve said, looking out of the car window. He and Toni were sitting in the back while Peggy was sitting in the front next to the driver.

"I got beat up in that alley." He said, using his finger to point. "And that parking lot. And behind that dinner." He looked out of the window again and for a quick second his face light up, "And that alley too, but that also where I met . . ."

 But he stopped before he finished his sentence. Toni. He was going to say her name but decided against it the last second. No one else knew that they met there. Just like no one else other than Bucky and Becca knew that the two of them knew each other. So he probably shouldn't be mentioning it now.

He played with his fingers before daring to sneak a glance at Toni. She was looking straight ahead but he could see a tiny smile on her face.

"Did you have something against running away?" Peggy asked.

Steve let out a breath and shook his head. "You start running, they'll never let you stop. You stand up, you push back. They can't say no forever, right?"

Peggy nodded, "I know a little of what that's like, to have every door shut in your face."

"Very sad but very true." Toni said, reaching forward to place her hand on Peggy's shoulder. "But hey, we made it, didn't we, Peg? At least Phillips doesn't make me carry boxes anymore."