28 - Until next time

A month had passed since that day and you found yourself back in Mondstadt acting as though nothing had happened. Well, once the news of what had occured in Liyue spread you were unable to keep up that facade.

Though the month had helped in growing out the chopped patch of hair, making it much less noticable than it had been.

A week after you returned a package showed up outside your door, adressed simply to 'traveler'. Inside the paper wrapping was a sword, made in the image of your original blade, though it was detailed in the same red as before you could feel the difference in quality from holding it.

It was comfortable in your grip and hung at your hip as though it had always been there, you had your suspicion of who arranged its production but as the label contained nothing more than your title, you couldn't be certain.

Kaeya watched from the side lines as you practiced your skills against the knights training dummies, a hobby Kaeya had insisted upon instead of having you take all the avaliable commissions every day.

"So, have you decided yet?" he queried.

You didn't spare him a glance as you parried with the dummy "decided what?"

"What you intend to do now? You saved Mondstadt, and now, you have saved Liyue, not to mention survived your Fatui run-ins. So, what will you do now?"

You shrugged "I think I want to stay here"

Kaeya laughed, causing you to turn towards him and frown at his reaction "you're so good at acting" he mused.

"I'm serious!" you stated firmly "I want to stay here from now on, or at least for a while longer"

It was Kaeyas turn to shrug as he waved his hand in a dismissive fashin as he spoke "alright, well I guess you don't want to know that your boyfriend is leaving Liyue today, then"

You felt your body freeze up slightly. Since the time he had told you to leave a month ago you hadn't heard from him or of him since. Of course he had still been on your mind, how could he not be? but you found yourself wanting to see him again.

You thought it may be dangerous to show up in Liyue after he had faked your death to the Fatui, but surely Kaeya wouldn't have told you of his departure if he thought you'd be put in danger. Or at least danger you couldn't handle.

And, since your return to Mondstadt you had changed your clothing to something more suited to a resident of Mondstadt, though your reputation as the otherworldly traveler would still cling to you, at least from a glance you looked simply like a wanderer of Mondstadt.

Whats one more risk, anyway?

Childe assisted in the loading of some of the Fatuis assests and belongings aboard the modest boat. He wasn't to return to Snezhnayan just yet, but he had no choice but to remove himself from Liyue for now.

The dock workers muttered amoungst themselves, sending glares in the harbingers direction as they continued with their other work, keeping themselves busy so they didn't have to assist the Fatui. Only a few of the workers assisted them, but even then, it was with the bare minimum.

Childe wasn't exactly surprised, they had been a part -a huge part- in the destruction attempt of Liyue, though he didn't enjoy having to be in charge of the rush cleanup and sudden evactuation of his small team. The only Fatui section remaining in Liyue was the bank, and they were unable to harbor the harbinger and his posse for any longer in order to uphold their political relation.

As Childe leant down to pick up the final box a boot was slammed down on top, preventing him from lifting it. He felt a flash of annoyance as he looked up to see who was causing this inconvience. That annoyance quickly melted as he was met with your smug smile.

"Should someone of your standing really be loading boxes?" you teased as you removed your foot from the box, dipping down to pick up the box and handing it to him as he placed it on top of the stack of other boxes onboard.

He shrugged "we all have to pitch in the help somehow, besides, I'd rather be loading boxes than babysitting the others" he nodded towards the other end of the boat where a small group of underlings were arguing amongst themselves.

"Do you really have to leave?" you asked, though you know the question was a silly one given his involvement in the event a month ago.

He smiled, humouring you by answering the question you already knew the answer to "I can't stay"

"Then, I'll miss you" you said honestly "but, I'll come visit you sometime"

He shook his head "I don't think you should bother visiting" you were shocked by his words, ready to yell at him for being an ass until his outstretched hand halted you "come with me"

You stared between his smile and his hand. You briefly considered your friends in Mondstadt, surely they would worry that you took a visit to Liyue only to never return, but then you remembered Kaeyas smirk and realised that he probably expected this outcome and should you not return to Mondstadt after this visit, he would reassure everyone.

You considered the Fatui recognising you, but Childe must be confident enough that they won't notice the strange stowaway suddenly accompanying him. He must've made a convincing show of your 'death'.

You were a traveler that fell from another world, so surely this was all part of that description; travelling, but with Childe; with Ajax.

With a smile, you reached out your hand, placing it in his.

ALTERNATE ENDING (CONT.)

You saw the confusion flash in his blue eyes as you withdrew your hand, leaving behind a single violet grass flower in his palm.

"I picked some up on my way here, for Xiangling, I know she likes to use them for her, uh, cooking" you murmered before adding "and it reminded me of the first time you tried to kill me"

He chuckled, twirling the stem between his fingers "my apologises, killing you wasn't my intent. But on that note, don't go making anymore issues for me within the Fatui, please?"

You rolled your eyes with a light laugh, grinning as you replied "I make no promises"

"So, you really won't come with me?"

You humoured him with a responce to the question he already knew the answer to by simply shaking your head. He nodded, and you shared a quiet gaze.

"Get ready to set sail!" the captain of the boat cried out, interrupting your final moment together. You felt the sadness that this was goodbye wash over you before reconfirming your desire to stay and see him again when the time came.

Childe reached out, taking ahold of both of your hands and for a moment you thought he was going to pull you aboard with him but instead he placed a kiss to the back of your hands, smiling up at you, your hands slipping from his as the boat pulled away from the harbour.

"Until next time?" he spoke.

You smiled, content as you confirmed "until next time"

And as the boat sailed father from the arms of Liyue, Childe turned his gaze from your fading waving figure to the rising sun on the horizon ahead.

He had told you not to bother visiting, but he knew you would, after all you never listened to him when he told you not to do something; and he looked forward to it.