23 - Compromise for Liyue

The next night you returned to your house after a long day of helping Kaeya with the necessary reports for the previous day. Kaeya making a vauge comment that you should invest in better windows.

Childe was donning his emblem on his coat as you entered. He gave you a smile "I have some business to attend to"

"Again?"

He shrugged "the burden of a harbinger, keeping the underlings busy" he sighed, moving over to pat your head "I'll be back later, sleep well" he hooked his finger beneath your chin, tilting your face towards his as you shared a tender kiss.

He left soon after, leaving you alone in your room. You moved towards the window, waiting until his shadowed figure came into view below, following him through the streets towards the Goth Grand Hotel where the fatui were currently residing during their time in Mondstadt.

As soon as you were certain that he had disappeared inside the building, you got to work. Quickly, you shoved a few of your necessities into a small bag, just the basics, burying the fatui emblem among them. You swung the small pack onto your shoulders and secured your sword to your hip.

The streets were quiet, with only the dull buzz of voices coming from the taverns as you snuck past them, glancing over your shoulder towards your home and the hotel, making sure you weren't spotted, or being followed. Kaeya knew of your intent to return to Liyue that night and had already made sure there would be a small gap between guard changes at the gate to allow you to slip out unnoticed.

Diluc had tried to convince you to take someone with you, insisting that any idea that came from the mouth of his brother was a sure-way to an injury, but after seeing that the idea Kaeya had given was merely the water that fed the seed of determination that was already within you he didn't push you any further, simply telling you to be safe.

You had no idea what you would do once you reached Liyue, you had questions and a stolen fatui trinket and that was all you had right now.

"You know, I'm starting to think you're trying to piss me off on purpose"

The sudden voice made you jump, your sword in hand within seconds as you pointed it towards the voice. Childe looked bemused as he leant against the tree next to the road, blue eyes gleaming in the dark light as he looked between the tip of your sword and you "it's not what it looks like-"

He sauntered over to you, pushing your blade aside with the back ofhis hand without hesitation "it looks like you're sneaking off to Liyue, despite me insisting that you don't"

"You can't keep me here" you argued "I have friends in Liyue and I have every right to visit them as I please, you're my lover, not my warden . . besides, I thought you had something to attend to?"

"I did" he chuckled "and I am attending to it" he let out an annoyed sigh "another harbinger happened to get wind of your involvement with the other day, as well as your connection with me and has grown suspicious, nothing that I didn't expect from my schemeing compadres but they appear to have caught on quicker than I intended"

"What? do you mean you have to kill me now?"

"No, oh no, they just wanted me to watch you" he shrugged "seems they were right, seeing as here you are, sneaking off. I didn't peg you as someone to fuck and run"

You sighed "it's not like that-"

"It's dangerous there"

"Why?"

"I can't tell you-"

"Then don't stop me!"

You both stared at each other, Childe firm in his tight-lipped loyalties to the fatui and you remaining firm in your aim to go to Liyue.

Childe let out a long defeated sigh "if it didn't excite me to see you so defiant I would be returning you to Mondstadt right now, through whatever means necessary" he pinched the bridge of his nose in slight frustration with the situation.

"I just want answers, what we fought the other day it could have caused innocent people to die . . I can't just stand by and let that happen"

"That will be the reason I will have to kill you" he murmered, his voice distant and sad, before he added "you won't get hurt if you just stay here, in Mondstadt, where it's safe"

"But for how long will it be safe for, Ajax?" you asked "if nothing else, at least let me make sure my friends are okay. Surely you can let me do that"

"You're serious about going to Liyue?" you nodded, gripping at the handle of your sword as though to show him that you were serious, serious enough to go through him if you had to. He merely found this guesture amusing; cute, even "alright, then I'll offer you a compromise"

"Okay?"

"Go to Liyue, tell those you consider close to leave the city for a few days, and then, you return to Mondstadt"

You frowned, opening your mouth to protest his 'compromise' "but-"

"24 hours, then please, return"

"A day? that's hardly enough time for me to get to Liyue-!"

He rolled his eyes at you weak protest "28 hours, then. Please"

You looked into his soft pleading eyes, eyes that were both begging you to stay so he wouldn't have to deal with the thoughts of you in danger, and reminding you that he was the danger, even if he didn't chose to be.

You nodded "alright, 28 hours and then I'll come back. Promise"

His smile was filled with relief "stay away from the fatui you may see there, interaction with them right now could be . . difficult" you raised a brow, hoping that he would continue that thought, but he just shook his head, silently conveying that was as much as he could say.

His hands placed themselves lightly at the sides of your waist, pulling you closer as he placed a kiss to your head. He held you close for a few moments before he leaned down to join your lips together, softly kissing you, almost as though he was hoping he could distract you from your Liyue end-goal with his affection.

"You should go now, the fatui will grow suspicious if I stay out here much longer"

"Aren't you meant to be watching me?"

He shrugged "yeah, but they're hardly going to start a fight with me for 'losing sight of you', are they?" he chuckled lightly at the thought. He pulled away from the small embrace, ushering you to get going "be careful"

"Thank you, Ajax. I'll be back tomorrow night" you assured, before you continued down the road towards Liyue.

Childe watched you until you disappeared into the distance.

He knew you were up to something, and whatever that something was was going to make his job considerably harder than it needed to be, but he couldn't help but be intrigued by what you would do.

You may have caught his interest in the begining as a strong opponent, but now, you were holding his interest and making him want more purely by being you.