1 - Out of Mondstadt and into the fire

AN - Although this is titled as a reader insert, Im going to write this from a gender neutral approach and leave it up to the reader to decide if you want it to be from Aether, Lumine, or the good ole' reader-insert perspective! (mostly because I know as a reader sometimes you want a good pairing and other times you just want that sweet self insert, so for my first official fanfiction Imma cater to both of those needs, so I hope thats okay!)  Im also a little out of practice with fanfictions so I hope its good enough!

---

You crouched low to the sand, waiting. You could see the sand moving, knowing the creature you were looking for would pop up any second.

As it shook the sand from its body you lunged forward, trying to keep your hands from its pincers range. Your fingers safe from potential pinches you held the crab above your head with a shout of victory.

Lynn who stood nearby smiled, clapping her hands in encouragement as she ran over with the bag for you to put the final crab in.

"Thanks for your help, traveler" she smiled, tying the bag up tightly before she started rummaging in her pack "here" she held her hand out towards you "for your troubles"

You held out your hand, feeling the cold surface of mora as it was dropped into your palm. With a quick glance you could tell it would be enough to buy yourself a nice dinner, maybe even one of Saras specials. You thanked her as the two of you headed back to Mondstadt, exchanging light conversation.

You bid her farewell as you went your seperate ways, Lynn disappearing further into the centre of Mondstadt while you came to a halt under the archway.

The sun was high in the sky signalling it was midday, you had completed most of the commissions from the guild for the day, and last time you checked, the knights of favonius had nothing they needed assistance with. You pondered about what to do.

With your newly acquired mora you could go for a nice lunch instead of dinner, or maybe you could visit the tavern. Was it too early to visit the tavern?

As you were pondering your next move you heard a familiar shout from nearby, looking around you spotted Katherine waving you over. You frowned slightly, maybe they had a last minute commission for you? as long as she didnt need help with the paperwork again, you could take down a dragon but filling out forms was a battle in itself.

"Everything okay?" you asked as you stood in front of her.

"I have a request for you, do you mind?" you shook your head, you didnt exactly have your hands full at that moment so what was the harm in a little request "we just recieved word from Chef Xiangling in Liyue, she has ordered a couple of our regional ingredients-"

"Oh, what do you need me to pick? I know a good place to collect pinecones from!"

Katherine giggled lightly "no, actually, I was hoping you would deliver the ingredients"

"Deliver them? to Liyue?" she nodded. Liyue was a bit further afoot than you really wanted to tread, you had only been once to hand over a message between the Liyue's Katherine, and you had been called straight back with a new commission without having time to explore or even fully take in the Liyue surroundings.

The place was crawling with fatui, too, from what you remembered. They didnt cause you much trouble, you werent exactly in Liyue long enough for them to cause you trouble, but regardless, they werent the kindest of people around.

The hilichurls over there were also more annoying.

"Uhm, sure. Id be happy to" you smiled, it was mostly true, you were happy to help! you just werent exactly looking forward to lugging a box of god-knows-what to Liyue. Knowing Xianglings . . 'exotic' tastes, you could be certain it wasnt going to be anything like a normal food delivery.