A Suspiciously Dwarf Themed Mine

Start from the beginning

This whole situation was bizarre, and thinking about it would only give her a headache, she decided. She gently placed the mug back on the table, resolving to stop by the cottage again to pick it up before they returned to the school.

"When the mine was flourishing, this house must have been a lively place." Deuce mused. Ace, who was still busy justifying why it was perfectly reasonable to think that children lived in this house next to a mine called the Dwarfs' Mine, didn't appreciate being ignored.

"...and with how many there were—Hey! Are you guys even listening to me?!"

"No." Yu said, not looking up.

"Not really." Shrugged Deuce.

"Why would I be?" Grim yawned.

"Sorry, I was lost in thought." Elle said apologetically.

"You guys are the worst." He deadpanned. "This isn't getting us anywhere anyway. If we're gonna find a magestone, it'll be inside the mine."

Elle nodded. "That's true. Off to the mine, then?"

Yu nodded in return, scooping up Grim and gesturing for the rest to follow. Elle was right behind him, with Ace and Deuce bringing up the rear.

...

"You wanna go inside THERE? It's pitch black!"

Just as the monster said, the dilapidated entrance was completely dark. Elle couldn't even see anything past the threshold. She was cautious, since she didn't know the common dangers of this world yet, but was still fairly confident she could handle whatever threats were in there. She had already experienced a monster and ghosts, after all. Grim, alternately, was shaking like a leaf. This did not go unnoticed by Ace.

"So we've got a magicless girl who's afraid of talking to strangers, and a monster who's scared of the dark? Pathetic."

Elle and Grim had completely opposite reactions. Grim bristled, jumping out of Yu's arms, while Elle looked Ace dead in the eye with a tired look on her face.

"Myah?! I'm not scared of anything! I'm taking the lead. You all follow me!"

Yu and Deuce followed Grim into the mine. Ace was going to follow, until he heard Elle speak up. It was the same cold tone she had used that morning.

"And what of it?"

Ace rolled his eyes, glancing over at the blonde girl. Sure, it was terrifying as hell the first time, and it was still a little bit terrifying now, but was Ace about to just back down? Hell no!

"What does that even mean? I know you're trying to look scary or whatever, but you just kinda look like an angry rabbit right now." That made Elle pause, blinking a couple times in confusion. She tilted her head to the side.

"I'm not trying to look intimidating? I'm vaguely annoyed by your incessant provocations, but that's about it. As for your question, I'm asking why I should be bothered by your opinion of me, considering it has held no weight to me in the first place. Is this a hobby of yours? Are you expecting a reaction? Or are you just projecting your insecurities onto us? Please tell me, I am genuinely confused."

...You know, maybe Ace should have backed down. Well, it was too late now. He forced out a laugh, crossing his arms and looking off into the woods.

"What, are you reciting a dictionary at me now? Using bigger words won't make your point stronger, you know."

"......Ace, love, are you alright? I'm getting worried about you now, who hurt you?"

Ace blanched, crinkling his nose at the girl.
"Oi- Nobody hurt me! What's your deal?! Do you think you're my mom or something? Mind your business. Not everyone has some tragic backstory for you to poke your nose into. C'mon, the others are probably way ahead of us, start walking or you're getting left behind."

Ace quickly turned on his heel and headed into the mine, which did very little to assuage the newfound worries of the blue eyed girl. She followed behind him after a moment of hesitation. He's fine, right? She overstepped again, didn't she...?

Elle followed him into the cavern with a sigh.

~~~
I FORGOT THAT TODAY WAS MONDAY

Hi! Hello! I am back! Back and still alive! Have a chapter. I'm not entirely proud of the Ace interaction at the end, but I can't think of anything better, so we're rolling with it.

So I've reached a bit of a crossroads with my writing and figure it may be nice to get some input for it, and since I have literally zero friends that are interested in Twst, that means asking all of you.

Should Elle be a student? It's pretty expected, seeing as how the plot usually goes, but for character reasons and the fact that Yu is partnered with Grim, I don't know if it would be too forced if I implemented it. Of course, I have a plan to try to make it work, kinda, I just want to know your opinions on the matter ^^

Anyway, that's all from me for this week! I'll see you in a while!
~Astroleap