Chapter 22: Lola

I stare at the clock on the wall, just like half the team, waiting until the minute hand reaches twelve and we're done for the day. Rehearsals are gruelling, for several reasons. Obviously West pushes us hard, the qualifier's coming up and we have to go to regionals. Also, watching Jacquie stare lovingly at Noah is nauseating, though not as bad as watching Richelle let Noah sweet talk her into thinking everything's fine. We're good friends now, but we never talk about Noah and Jacquie, because it'll only end in a fight.

Finally, the clock shows six and West lets us off, seemingly happy with the rehearsal. I don't know why, sure we danced well but there's way too much tension between us all. Maybe we've just gotten better at hiding it. We all get ready to leave straight away, except for Amy and Henry who are staying to practice their duet. Their audition was amazing and I'm sure what they actually prepare will be even better, especially now that they're dating. They're so cute together, and I don't think either of them are going to pull a LaTroy or a Noah.

I catch up with Richelle in the locker room, and my brow furrows in confusion when I see she's not packing up yet. "You staying the night?" I tease. "Ha ha" she laughs mockingly. "No, I'm just going to do some ballet exercises before going home. You can join me if you want?" she says, smiling. "Sure" I grin. "You can come back to mine afterwards and we can watch dance moms? If you want?" "Yeah, ok. Great" she smiles. We chat on our way to Studio A, and pull out the ballet bars but are silent once we start the exercises. Richelle thinks we should be completely focused when dancing, especially ballet, but I don't mind. It's always comfortable anyway. It was a bit awkward when I first met, because I definitely had a small crush on her. But now we're just friends, and I genuinely don't like her like that, though I really value our friendship. Even if she is stupid when it comes to Noah.

A snap breaks me out of my thoughts. "What was that?" I ask Richelle, confused. "What was what?" she says, almost nervously. I frown. "The snap." "I didn't hear anything Lola" she says, shrugging and going back to rehearsing. I can tell she's lying though, and I don't drop it. "Are you injured?" I ask. "No, Lola, I'm fine" she laughs lightly, turning around again. "It was probably just the wind, or a J trouper messing or something. I promise." I look at her. I still don't know if I should trust her but she's my friend, so this time I will. "You'd tell me if you were injured, right?" I ask. "Of course. You're my best friend" she says. "Ok" I smile, leaning across the bar to hug her. She pushes me off within a second and I laugh. We go back to practising and I don't hear any more snaps. Maybe I really did imagine it.