Chapter 19: Emily

Usually, I love coming to rehearsals. Doing paperwork while watching my team rehearse reminds me of how hard I worked to get here, and how much I want this. But not today. The team is barely a team, more like a group of ten individual dancers. Everyone has someone they're not talking to and it only takes me an hour to realise that as studio head, I need to do something about it.

I let them finish the piece they're working on, then go outside and call a break. "Ok guys, take 15 minutes to get a drink and come back full of energy please." They all file out, whispering and glaring at each other and I sigh. The hardest part of being studio head is dealing with people's feelings.

I walk back into my office and West follows me, I can tell he can see what's going on too. "So. What's the plan?" he asks. He's frowning, which is unusual. It means it's serious. "Well. Let's go through person by person" I say. "Ok" he nods. "Noah. He's probably cheating on Richelle with Jacquie and everyone hates him for it, especially Henry." "They also hate Jacquie" I agree. "Lola and Kingston aren't really fitting in" he says. "And I'd put Piper and LaTroy in there as well." "And there's obviously something between Amy and Henry but they won't do anything about it" West finishes. I nod. "Ok" I say slowly. "Let's do duets. We'll make it a competition. Winners get a featured duet in our regionals qualifier video." "Ok, perfect. So pair 1, Amy and Henry?" "Pair 2 can be Lola and Richelle" I say. "Pair 3 can be Ozzy and Kingston" West decides. "And we'll keep Noah and Jacquie separated, so pair 4 can be Noah and Piper, and pair 5 can be Jacquie and LaTroy." "Great" West smiles. His smile grows as his phone dings and he glances down to read the message. I frown slightly, curious. I debate asking but decide to keep things professional. He looks back up at me, apologetic. "Sorry but I have to go now" he says guiltily. "I have a date." My frown deepens but despite being annoyed, I ask anyway. "With who?" "Daniel" he says casually. "And I'm really late for our lunch so I have to go." "Ok, fine. Go" I say. But be back in two hours tops" I call out after him as he runs out the door.

I pull out my own phone then and search up an old group chat. "Did you guys know West and Daniel are dating?" I text. Within minutes, Chloe and Michelle are spamming me with over the top messages and shocked emojis. I smile, but am interrupted by the sound of A troupe walking back in. My smile drops. Great. Now I get to deal with them myself. I take a deep breath and remind myself things can only get better before walking out to face them.