28| Good Ending

A/N: you guys ever think of Romeo and Juliet and their alternate ending? Belle x Byron, no one can stop me.

It was another early morning. Belle sat on the roof, gazing at the sky as the sun rose. Her hair moved with the air and she took off her reddish glasses. It's one of the calm moments that she actually enjoyed the presence and forgot about the heist and bounty for a moment.

"It seems endless..." She took a deep breath of the crisp air. "Where's the ending...where's the good ending...what's a good ending?"

"Dear, it's early in the morning...won't you sleep for a while more?" Byron ran his finger through his messy hair and his large and dark eye bags were shown. He was out of the house, in his pajamas, wearily looking at her.

Belle shook her head with a slight chuckle and jumped off the rooftop, dropping herself down from a height of 2 floors. "God! Can you stop being so unexpected? It scares me if you'll get hurt." Byron facepalmed himself and sighed. "Take a rest, will you?"

"You know I'm a bandit, and jumping everywhere is my way to gain coins and wealth." She stated casually and walked back to home. She took off the scarf she was wearing and her favorite boots.

[2 hours later.]

"What got you thinking like this?" Byron laughed as he saw Belle flipping the coin in her hand and her eyes zoomed out to space. She was unusually quiet.

"Uh...Dear?" He hesitated.

"Belle?"

"Belle, is anything wrong?"

"Belle, what's wrong?"

Sighing, he put his hand on her shoulder, gaining a jump from her.

"Oh! Uh...yeah I agree." Belle faked a smile.

"What are you agreeing...I was asking you, what's wrong? You look worried." Byron took a seat next to her and handed her a cup of coffee.

"I'm just thinking..." She frowned and didn't continue, and took a sip of the coffee instead. "Never mind."

"It's very weird of you. Did the police catch you? You think your coins are missing? Or-"

"I think I should stop." She said.

"Stop what?"

"Stop...working." Belle gulped. "I just can't find the meaning in finding treasures anymore...it feels off. I don't have a goal in life. Just money, coins, bounty, and more money...it seems like an endless cycle. And it's not what I want in life."

Byron stayed silence.

"Like Romeo and Juliet? They...died. They never live a life together and it's just all wrong in the end. Reality is like that, isn't it? There isn't such thing as good ending." Belle took another sip from the coffee.

"It sometimes does feel like...I'm doing it 'cause I think I have to, not because I want to.  But I'm scared too. Like Juliet, she betrays others just to stay with Romeo, and what happened next? They paid for it with their lives. Like, I can't live if I don't follow the rules. I know what I'm doing as a living is totally against the law, but at least it works! But not working at all, and just admiring the nature...it's not the reality. I can't do it, or I'll have to sign it up with my life."

She took a deep breath and stayed silence. It terrified her sometimes, wanting to do something but it might not be good. It might turn out horrible, indeed.

Byron slightly shook his head.

"What? You don't agree? Life isn't a fable, totally not."

He finally spoke up, in his very cliche old-man-tone voice. "There isn't any line to define a good or a bad ending. The line is subtle."

This time was Belle, who was confused and stayed in silence.

"Romeo and Juliet did get a good ending. They love each other and took the risk. Yes they died but they lived through their life. They've found what they want and was fine with no matter what it takes, as long as it won't take their better half."

"Sometimes no matter how much the price you're gonna pay, you should still do it. A comfortable and safe, long life, but without happiness, is a bad ending. A risky and treacherous, short life, but filled with the love you got for the life, is a good ending. Which side of ending it is, depends."

"In a nutshell, follow your heart, but don't ignore your brain."

"That's very subtle, Ron."

"Yes dear. Because this is life."

[Noon.]

"Byron, I'm going out!"

"Wait, wear this..."

Byron took something from his room and stuffed it into Belle's hand before she left the house. As she took a closer look, it was revealed a beautiful ruby, decorated with golden lines and glistening silver stones. "What's this?" She raised an eyebrow.

"Protective charm, for a better ending." He stated with a small smile. "You know I never know when you'll return. Keep this."

"Alriiiiight Romeo! I promise it's gonna be in a week." Belle chuckled and kissed him on the cheek gently.

"You better be." Byron's lips curled up into a smile.

As she left, the diamond on her ring finger glistened under the sun.

A good ending or a bad ending? Well, it depends.

But it's always a good ending to him, because she's here.

~~~~~Author's Note~~~~~
So, a really boring and simple chapter again lol. Hm, what's your good ending and bad ending in life?
Anyways, it's soon to an enddddddd. Thanks for reading! I love ya'll and byeeeeeee