24| Happier

A/N: Nope.

[Poco's pov]

And so, we broke up.

I could remember the way you yelled and and slammed the door closed. It was a horrible fight. I chose career over you. You chose love over life.

"And so um...I guess everyone has heard about that news? Of um..my relationship." I mumbled as I held the guitar on the stage, with millions and millions of fans joining this stunning concert. I tried to sound not so sad, and I tried to look not so broken. The crowd didn't "boo" or say anything bad. They all just quietly listened. I'm thankful for that.

"It was...kind of, a mess. No I mean, um whatever. It's totally chaos and I know it's meant to be but, I still feel sorry for the last thing I said to her." I looked down to my guitar and I could hear the crowds applauding and clapping their hands. It was nighttime, and the glowing boards really added the magic. Somehow it just didn't feel right to me. Not at all.

"So, surprise. I've decided to play a few more acoustic covers!" I said with my best smile. "Only you guys, the guitar, and me."

I took a few steps back and started strumming the guitar. The strings echoes in the large stadium. I've never been familiar to this song, and I've never imagined one day I'll play this song. But here it was. Experienced something I didn't want to.

I cleared my throat quietly and just let my feelings sink into the song.

"🎵Walking down 29th and Park.
🎵I saw you in another's arms.
🎵Only a month we've been apart.
🎵You look happier.
🎵Saw you walking inside a bar.
🎵He said somethin' to make you laugh.
🎵I saw that both of your smiles were twice as wide as ours.
🎵Yeah you look happier, you do."

The crowd cheered loudly and sang along.

"You guys like it?" I chuckled, feeling a bit better for the fact that it wasn't only me that related to it.

The minutes were more hard that I expected. I had to stop singing for a few times to stop myself from almost shedding tears. My voice trembled every time it went to that lyrics.

"🎵My friends told me one day I'll feel it too.
🎵I could try to smile and hide the truth.
🎵But I k-...happier...with you..."

Some of the words were muffled. I just couldn't say it. I was so much happier with you. It should've never meant to be. My darlin' I'm still in love with you...I know it looked like I'm finding a new half, but my heart...it belongs to you.

It felt like I could see your face again sometimes. I still hoped that you might appear in the millions of people. I hoped it won't be a forever tangle it your heart. Your laughter and your serious face of painting nails. Your expressive faces in photos and your gorgeous hair. You're my muse of ideas. You were the best of all.

I guess I just don't deserve this much. As a musician that won hearts from strangers and close friends, but never ever from you. I lost it. I lost you.

"🎵I knew one day you'd fall for someone new.
🎵But if he breaks your heart like lovers do.
🎵Just know that I'll be waitin' here for you..."

The guitar sound blurred out.

I took a few steps back from the microphone and a blast of cheers came from the crowd.

I smiled slightly and grabbed the microphone again. "Thank you."

[Emz' pov]

You were having fun in the concert, aren't you?

I still follow you on the internet. You were having such a blast with your fans and everything. I'm just a bossy ex-girlfriend, isn't it?

Rumor: Poco finds a new partner already? Have you ever realized he had been hanging out with Lola a lot recently?

"No." I rolled my eyes. I'm so sick of all the rumors. I know Poco isn't that kind of guy...and I don't know why do I still care. I guess the chemistry was too strong.

Scrolling my phone, I saw a new punch of posts with the hashtag #Emz.

It was confusing. I didn't make any new product for the last 2 months. Poco and I had been such a terrible time. I frowned and clicked to the topic. And they all pointed to the same thing.

The only thing Poco don't post in his stories.

About me.

There were a thousand of the same post, with different captions.

"Emz must have loved him so deeply"
"Ship them forever 💔"
"So relatable. I was happier with my ex as well."
"Sometimes a heartbreaking ending is just the beginning of a better future...but this time I don't think so."
"Plz Plz Plz why does this happen WHYYYYYY💔💔💔💔💔💔💔"

I sighed and turned off my phone. The videos on the internet were all about Poco singing that song.

"And I have something similar too." I mumbled and plugged my earphones into my ears.

I started playing another song, well it's called Happier, but not the one he played.

🎵But she's so sweet. She's so pretty.
🎵Does she mean you forgot about me?
🎵Oh I hope you're happy.
🎵But not like how you were with me.
🎵I'm selfish I know. I can't let you go.
🎵So find someone great but don't find no one better.
🎵I hope you're happy but don't be happier.

"And I wish you all the best really..." I closed my eyes and rested my head on the pillow, leaning against a wall. "Just don't forget what we've been through...don't say "I love you" to her between the chorus and the verse..."

"Isn't it just so irony?" She chuckled and wiped away her tears.

"Poco...I remember the night...I was a fan of you, before you were a skeleton, before I was a zombie." She mumbled to the air, and let the words faint without being heard by anyone. "And I remember...when we met for the first time, I was 12 and you were 17...you were just a small indie country singer. I remember us dating when you were 25 and I was 20...until the plane. Until it crashed when it was our anniversary."

She looked at the ceiling. "And you were so beautiful...your eyes were full of stars. And I remember what I say when the airplane drowned into the water..."

"We'll meet again in the after life. I promise, my love."

[1 year later.]
[Third person's pov]

It was one of those business days. Busy traffic, busy people, busy everything.

Emz tied up a fresh and near ponytail and swayed as she walked. It was a new day of her company. A new perfume is gonna be out today and she knew how crazily excited the people are.

On the elevator, she looked at her phone.

Acoustic covers of the pop star Poco! The newest cover album: Happier.

"What..." She gasped slightly. "God...it's been a whole year."

The date, the time, and even the second, was exactly 1 year ago, when they broke up.

It was a sudden drop. All his fans went crazy. Emz pretended to be casual and just walked into her office.

"Guys, we gotta change the name of the perfume." She announced immediately once she grabbed the microphone. "Throw away all the Happier labels. Change them all to Happiness. Sorry but please, it has to be." She explained with a small smile.

"Alright. What about this front?"

"Yes Tyler. It's amazing."

[2 Months later.]

She could swear.

She could swear she saw him.

Poco, on the street, his arms around another girl, smiling.

Emz dodged into a bush to watch as they passed by.

They smiled bright and twice as wide as them. She looked kind, probably gave him butterflies. It looked like all the birds and creatures were singing just for them. A whole year, but Emz just couldn't let go. This time, she knew. She knows exactly, she had to go.

Lately she's been thinking about contacting Poco again. She wanna make things to turn around, but she didn't.

Now that she knows.

If she wants him to live happily, she had to let go, and go, and go, and go.

Cancel herself from his life.

[1 Year later.]

Poco grabbed his new guitar and carefully wiped it with a clean handkerchief. It's been so long, and his girlfriends just switch to one to another one. He's sick of this cycle.

Sometimes he'll wander. He'll click into Emz' profile again, to check on her updates.

"I wanna lift your spirit...I wanna see you smile...at me...but it's not possible anymore, is it? Happier...means that I'll have to leave." Poco sighed and stopped laying his eyes on her new profile picture again. It was her rear view with her hair down, falling so elegantly.

"New concert, you guys ready?" He smiled professionally and took the car keys with him. The keychain reflected a flush of orange. The red leaves fell off from trees as his team drove the car.

"So I'll go...and I hope you'll be happier."

He looked at the red leaves.

A piece of leaf fell down, and was crashed by the car. The sun shined just like it always did. The wind blew.

Were they happier, or are they happier?

Either way, you cannot call it a bad ending, can you?

~~~~~Author's Note~~~~~
My inspiration:
A Star Is Born (film) - a dilemma between choosing your partner or your career.
Happier by Ed Sheeran- She looks happier, from photos and pictures. He's just gonna smile and hide the truth.
Happier by Olivia Rodrigo - He looks so in love with the new girl. She might be okay but she's not fine at all.
Happier by Marshmello - Let go. Sometimes just go, and leave, brings the happier thing.

Alright that's it. Another very not-happy chapter.
Thanks for reading this shit lol I love you so much.
Bye! Have a great day everyone :)