S1 - 10. [Awkward Conversations]

Katsuki had changed in record time, mentally applauding himself for catching himself everytime he tripped over himself.

A deep crimson hoodie and bleached, ripped jeans. Something he could be proud of.

If he was going to live out his last days, he might as well look good, no matter what. Grocery shopping, sneaking out for ice cream, dinner parties, mall outings. Katsuki was going to make his parents proud.

He'd learnt his fashion sense from the best of the best, after all.

Once he'd finished changing, he quickly raced out of his room, leaving the door wide open in his haste.

Mitsuki Bakugou, the model and designer; the powerful, graceful woman, now charged down the hallway, enveloping everything except grace.

They locked gazes and leapt down the stairwell.

THUD

"What the hell are you two doing?"

Katsuki stared ahead at his father, who looked a cross between horrified and amused, before glancing over at his mother. She met his eyes for a few moments before they both burst out laughing.

They called it a tie, Katsuki agreeing to wipe down the counters and table if she mopped.

The Midoriya family arrived shortly after, Katsuki and his father staying in the living room while his mother greeted them.

"So, on a scale of negative fourty-three to twelve, how do you think this'll go?"

His father snorted. "Nine– no, uhm, maybe negative seventeen? It'll be fine if you don't count the worried looks, questions, and subtle pity that'll definitely take place. Nothing too bad, right?"

"... Sounds fantastic"

"Katsuki! Masaru! Get your asses over here!"

He locked eyes with his father before they both walked to the foyer. Slowly, of course, but they could both play it off as Katsuki's condition.

(That wasn't the case, but his mother never made a comment)

His father was always in tune with him. Not to his mother's telepathic, all-knowing depth, but it was in a different way. The man knew when Katsuki was uncomfortable and how to subtly ease it. His mother let him burst when he needed to, joining him in whatever activity let it out. His father was more in the moment, moving to prevent the feelings in the first place.

Having a family like this was something he knew no one else could experience, they were one of a kind, one in a trillion.

"Hi Kacchan"

Katsuki rolled his eyes, "Nerd"

It was already awkward and he hated it.

Katsuki kept glancing at his parents throughout the dinner, gauging their feelings in only a way he could read.

They weren't uncomfortable at all. Mrs. Midoriya, however, looked so concerned he could practically hear her thoughts.

Deku sat next to him, fidgeting and tapping his fingers on the table.

Finally, he sighed. "There's nothing you can do"

Midoriya jerked, eyes darting up to meet his. "That's... Kacchan there isn't anything? Could... Could Recovery Girl's quirk help? Maybe a more advanced one... I heard there was this guy on China with a really powerful quirk... America has a few specialists too actually... Actually... I think there was this woman in Poland that had some sort of quirk that helped heal cancer... Only certain kinds though..."

"Quit muttering, it's annoying" Midoriya let out a 'Sorry!' and he rolled his eyes "I don't really care, it is what it is"

The boy's eyes went wide. "Ka– Kacchan!"

Katsuki clicked his tongue in annoyance, looking at everything except for the boy.

"Just shut up"

He looked to his father, making an eye contact to try and get out of this situation. The man gives a barely noticeable nod and stands, excusing himself to the bathroom.

Katsuki caught, however, the mouthed 'wait a minute' towards him.

God he loved his father.

He did wait a few moments before excusing himself, hiding the giddy smile as he exited the room.

"Ready?"

"Fuck yes"

Word Count: 648