S1 - 3. [It's going dark]

The car ride to the doctor's was excruciating. His mother had given him her spare pair of sunglasses that she always had stashed away in the front console of the car.

It helped a little, and she had him sit in the back where it was darker and further from the windshield. His mother always knew what he needed, even when he didn't. With cool air coming through the vents and faint music to help mute out the sudden and noises of other drivers, she helped him more than he could ever imagine.

He kept silent letting the music fade as he let himself fade into the void that sat between awake and aware. His mother spoke, talking with the doctor on the phone as she set an emergency walk in appointment.

He couldn't tell if he'd fell asleep or not, but when his focus refixed, they had arrived. His mother helped him out of the car and held him close as they walked in. Or in his case, stumbled in.

Words mixed with the noise surrounding him. The footsteps on the carpeted floors, the television in the corner of the waiting room, the tapping of patient's legs in an anxious impatience.

His mother guided him along the halls, following a nurse. There was a child crying somewhere down the hallway that had him bringing a hand to press at his forehead.

"Make it stop" He pleaded to the universe. "Make i' stop"

"I know this sucks, but we'll get it fixed. You're my strong boy, I know we'll get through this" His mother told him. He could only respond with a quiet groan.

The doctor's office was entirely too bright for him. He couldn't get up on the examination table, his limbs barely holding him upright.

He couldn't focus, simply letting them repeat the question again if it was for him to answer. When had the headaches started? A few years back. Have they gotten worse as more time passed? The answer couldn't be more obvious. Why else would he only come now?

Katsuki was exhausted, the room was spotty and he felt like sleeping forever. No amount of rest would satisfy him. Perhaps a few years of sleep would help? Maybe even a few days?

He must've slipped into void because when he came to, he was at the hospital. He'd never had a headache this bad, it never stayed this long, never hurt this much.

What was wrong with him?

There was something off, it felt different from the last time he'd passed out. It felt like it had been much longer. Much, much longer.

Questions were asked an fingers probed him, snapping as waving between his face. He was supposed to follow then, he really was and he really did try. He caught glimpses of his disheveled mother talking with the doctors, her face a mix of concern and frustration.

No one seemed to know what was wrong.

Eventually, he was hooked up to an various machines and given strong pain killers. It took off most of the pain, leaving him with a dull ache. With the pain diminishing, he could focus a little more. It was done, however. The damage had been recorded and even though he could process information again, he still received frowns upon their cognitive tests.

His mother alternated between sitting next to him and out of the room talking with the doctors.

He was just so tired. So, so tired.

Katsuki found himself being wheeled to another room, his mother trailing behind as the bed he was on was pushed through the halls. He could idly take in his surroundings.

"Mom?" He asked when she left his sight. "Where's Mom?"

"She's waiting right outside. We're just going to do a quick scan, alright? It could be a little scary but we need you to stay perfectly still. Could you do that?"

He managed a nod to the nurse, helping as much as his body allowed when they went to transfer him onto another table. His clothes were gone, he realized. When had they done that?

The 'scary scan' turned out to be a round, donut-looking frame that slowly moved around his head as he lay there. It was unnerving and a part of him was afraid. It was an irrational fear, one that made no sense.

They were trying to figure out what was wrong with him. He could be brave for that.

He had to be.

Word Count: 766

I have had at least four CT scans for my head, I'd like to think I know what they're like.