001. train wrecks & puddlemere pins

Start from the beginning

Rosita's eyes were glistening, much like Ariel's now, but she smiled. It wasn't a forced smile. It was a smile a proud mother would have watching her young daughter grow. A smile which was a mixture of melancholia and utter happiness. When did she grow up so much? She asked herself. Ariel was still a long way from growing up, but this step, this huge step would determine the course of the majority of her life. "Mama, I'm going to miss you," the girl said, enveloping her mother into a hug controlling her tears, and Rosita pulling her in her arms with just as much love, "Oh Mija, I'll miss you too."

"You're going to do great things baby, I know it. You've got such a big heart," she continued, one hand holding her daughter's and the other cupping her cheek, "And an even bigger brain," she chuckled alongside Ellie and then proceeded to remind her to write to her everyday, or every alternate day, whatever worked best. And of course, all the steps and precautions to keep her mermaid identity a secret.

Rule number 1: Make sure to stay away from places that could be splashing/sprinkling water.

Rule number 2: If you do get water on you, don't panic, nothing will happen if it's just a drop or two. Quickly wipe it off.

Rule number 3: If the water is a little more than a few drops, atleast about a mug full of water, immediately go somewhere no one can see you and stay there for a while. If you turn into a mermaid, wait it out. If not, still wait it out.

Rule number 4: Don't tell anyone about it no matter what. If someone finds out, contact professor Dumbledore immediately

And finally Rule number 5: Never, EVER, go out during a full moon. And certainly don't look at the moon during a full moon.

With that, she bid her ado. And as Ellie ran towards the train's door, dragging her trolley ahead her, she was instead met with a━

CRASH!

Now lying on the ground and quite angry, she looked up to see the face of her most recent bad luck, a boy with slightly sandy but darker brown hair lay sitting on the ground right in front of her. Completely contrasting her, he looked anything but angry, somewhat panicked even. Quickly standing up and offering his hand to the shocked Ariel, he said, "Oh, I'm so sorry, I didn't see anyone coming, I was very slow, I promise!"

His rambling made Ariel calm down a bit, a soft smile making its way on her face as he took his hand and got up.

"Don't be sorry, I was lost in thought it seems, and I was certainly not slow, I promise." she gushed, making the boy sigh in relief and his cheeks redden with embarrassment, so with his head down ( in an attempt at hiding said embarrassment ), he said, "It's alright, you should go first anyway."

Smiling to herself, Ellie entered the train, making her way to find an empty compartment.

☾ ⋆*・゚⋆*・ *・゚:⋆*・゚

Looking for a compartment, Ellie was feeling nervous for the first time since leaving her home, or even since she got her letter. Seeing all the older kids laughing as she walked past their little chambers of happiness, intimidated her to no extent. There was one that seemed quiet but as soon as her hand reached its handle she was met by roaring laughter from a group of older boys who hadn't even noticed her presence. Flinching, she quickly scrambled onto the next few ones.

Luckily, she found one consisting of only two people who looked around her age, and plucked up the courage to open the door and ask, "Hello, if you don't mind, can I sit here? The others are mostly filled with older children. Are you first years too?"

Ellie was instantly met by a kind smile from the redhead girl and a barely a look of omission by the boy sitting on the seat in front of her. "Of course you can, come on in!" The enthusiastic redhead replied, waving her hand beside her on the seat. And as if all the nervousness was replaced by instant relief and happiness, she tucked her belongings safely below the seat and sat down.