The Vampire Bat Man - Part 2

The car ride home is awkward. Thomas sits in the Driver's seat. Dracula sits in the passenger's. Martha clings to young Bruce, in the back.

Because Dracula was covered in gore and filth, Thomas loaned him one of the spare shirts he keeps in the trunk of his car.

"I'm grateful you had a spare," Dracula says.

"I'm a surgeon," Thomas replies. "On nights when I'm not able to come home and grab a fresh shirt, I just grab one from the stash I keep in my trunk."

The family lives on the outskirts of town, on a sprawling estate that reminds Dracula of the one he maintained in Transylvania. Built upon a hill, it looks down on the city proper.

A balding, elderly man opens the door for them when they arrive. He speaks in an accent that Dracula isn't sure is French, or just condescending.

"Good evening," the butler says. "I see you've brought home...company."

Dracula, still disoriented, blinks at the man.

"Renfield?" He asks.

Little Bruce hugs the servant's shin.

"His name isn't 'Renfield'. It's Alphonse," the young man says.

Alphonse turns to Martha.

"My apologies, madame. If I was aware we were having visitors, I would have prepared the guest quarters."

"It's okay, Al," Thomas says. "I actually think our guest would be comfortable sleeping in the...um...cellar."

The Butler's eyes widen.

"The wine cellar, sir?"

Dracula laughs. The sound makes the butler's hair stand on end. 

"Don't worry. Your casks of amontillado are safe around me. I don't drink...wine."