Chocolate Chip Cookies

Start from the beginning

    Sam.

    Continuously hearing that name in all of this is started to sound like a default excuse. That's what it boiled down to, being told something and simply following it. Being cursed as an overgrown dog wasn't enough, I guess.

    Paul lightly hit his steering wheel and let out a forced chuckle. "My childhood friend will be a leech, and there is nothing I can do about it. If it wasn't for Sam, I would try to stop it.   

    Sam.

    There it was again, the default excuse. It was like Sam was an anchor to all of them. That his name solved all answers to their troubles. Nothing about this was genuine.

    Paul.

    Embry.

    Vampire.

    I didn't ask to be a part of this. I was thrown into this mess as a bargaining chip. There wasn't anything they could do but sit around pretending everything was okay. They did before I was involved in this mess, and they continue to do it now.

    "Just keep driving," I muttered, watching the clouds collect together.

    "Madeline I-"

    "Just. Drive." I say, squeezing my eyes shut.

    I could feel Paul's eyes on me, waiting for something. Perhaps he was expecting me to change my mind. Instead, our previous conversation lingered in the air, causing the space between us to be dense.

    Furthering the conversation would only bring out the verbal confirmation I didn't want to know. So we can act like nothing is happening right now. Yet, once my time comes, what do we do after that? I wanted the answer, but I wanted my answer, not Paul's or Embry's, just mine.

    "Okay," Paul whispered, resuming our drive.

     The silence remained between the both of us while he drove. I made sure to keep my eyes away from his direction as I observed the towering trees passing by.

    The trees soon turned into familiar landmarks as Paul took a turn. I could see Emily's house blend in with the forest and shrubbery. As we pulled closer to Emily's driveway, a familiar face approached the porch in greeting.

    Getting out of Paul's truck, I could get a closer look at our greeter. Emily stood by the stairs providing us a soft smile. Her calming demeanor resemblance closely to Esme.

    "Look who decided to show up. I've missed you," Emily's voice rang, opening her arms for a hug.

    "It's been too long," I tell her, quickly tearing my eyes from her face as I return the hug.

    Emily had three long scars that went vertical down her face. The scars caused the corners of her mouth and right eye to look slightly distorted. It was clear that she would have these scars for the rest of her life.

    "So, are you hungry? I made fresh cookies," Emily spoke, giving us a knowing smile.

    I nodded and looked over to Paul, "I can always go for your baked goods. But I don't think Paul needs to answer." Giving him a slight shove.

    Paul shoots a slight glare while Emily laughs. "Come on, you two," Emily spoke, opening the door for us.

    The entrance opens to her living space, showcasing her kitchen from the open layout. It had a typical cabin feel with all the wood interior. The windows fed pleasant lighting that gave the small home an airy atmosphere. Emily's baking caused the smell of sweet baked goods to fill her home.

    "Make yourself at home, kids," Emily spoke, walking towards the oven.

    I take a seat on one of the stools by the kitchen island. As Emily checked her cookies, I could see the scar on her face more. The scar went further beyond her face falling down her neck. Emby told me what had happened, but this wasn't a nasty scratch.

    Charlie had mentioned that Emily was mauled by a bear a couple months back. I can see why they used that as a cover story now that I am looking at it. She honestly did look like she was mauled by a bear.

    I feel a slight kick at my legs and look at the source. "Try not staring," Paul whispered lowly.

    I look back at Emily, platting the cookies on a plate. She didn't indicate that she knew I was staring, but the knowledge that Paul had caught me made me want to hide.

    "What kind of cookies did you make?" I spoke out.

    "The classic chocolate chip, but I have peanut butter and chocolate chips in the oven," Emily answered, heading over with a plate.

    "I can't wait to try them," I reply, reaching toward the plate to take one.

    As I grabbed the cookie, I was interrupted by a loud group of people making their way into the house. The group consisted of Jared, Embry, and Sam. I watch as Sam departs from the group heading toward Emily to give her a kiss.

    Emily and Sam looked love-sick with each other. They looked at each other like they were the only ones in the room. I move my eyes away from them, trying to have them land on another target. Unfortunately, my eyes landed on Embry's already staring eyes.

    "Hey," Embry said. He had his hands in his jeans pockets, showcasing his shirtless arms.

    "Hi," I replied, redirecting my attention to Paul wrestling with Jared.

    "Madeline, it's good to see you again," Sam said sternly, giving me a nod.

    " Yeah, I suppose," Shooting him a forced smile.

    "Paul told us what happened. I figured it would be safe to have you stay here for the night." Sam's tone didn't sound like it was a suggestion. He wore a firm expression with guarded eyes.

    "Hopefully, Leah won't mind if I crash at her place then," I replied, returning the same watchful look.

    Maybe the Volturi guards would take their time coming back if I am lucky. I didn't want to deal with getting them irritated with me. When they find out about me on the reservation, they will snitch on me to the kings if they find out about this.

    "Madeline, can we talk?" Embry's voice broke out.

    Everyone looked between Embry and me. Of course, everyone knew about our breakup, and I wouldn't be surprised if they knew about our recent interaction. Part of me wanted to dismiss him, but everyone staring at me made me rethink my plan.

    I was already in deep enough water as it with being here, so why not add more water to it. "Sure, mines well," I tell Embry with faux enthusiasm.

    "Alright, let's go. I know of a spot," Embry said.