I shrugged. "What can I say. I'm loyal to this tree."

"I thought you said you were leaving for the holidays?" She questioned.

"Well, I technically didn't."

"Right." She smiled and sat down next to me. "Happy new year, Iz."

"Happy new year, Adrianna."

"Did you have fun today?" She asked me.

"Sure." I replied.

"What did you do?" She asked. Little did she know the answer to that.

"Nothing." I said.

"How fun!" She sarcastically said.

"Oh, shut it." I chuckled. "What did you do?"

"Oh, I hung out with some friends." She said.

"That's all?" I asked. "You don't sound too excited."

"Nothing goes unnoticed with you, huh?"

"Nope." I said. "So tell me, what's wrong?"

"Oh, nothing. My ex just showed up and caused a scene."

"Ugh." I rolled my eyes. "I'm sorry. Do you want to talk about it?"

"Don't worry about it. I don't want to bother you with that."

"Stop." I said. "You're never a bother to me."

"It's just—" She spoke. "It's so tiring. I just want to be left alone and move on with my life but he makes it so hard. I'm just..." She gulped. "I'm just so tired."

I didn't know what to say so I just pulled her in a hugged her. "I'm so sorry you have to go through this. You don't deserve that."

She didn't say anything but her shoulders shook and I realized she was crying.

I pulled myself away from our hug. "Hey hey. You're okay." I said. "You're okay." I wiped away her tears with my thumb. My heart ached for her.

We were alone again. Sat down against the tree that always seemed to bring us together. The tree that always seemed to be the background decoration of our own little play. It was usually comfortable, but now tears were slowly falling down her face and I felt useless.

Our faces were closer to each other than they had ever been. My heart beating out of my chest while I tried to wipe away her tears with my thumb but now I could feel my own tears starting to form. I couldn't even tell who was crying now.

She sniffed and so did I. She stroke the bruise on my forehead with her thumb. "You are so clumsy." She so quietly said.

Normally I would've flinched from the pain, but I was too aware of her face being inches away from me. Too aware of her voice that was so close by it made me feel dizzy.

"It wasn't my fault though." I softly spoke.

She laughed. She did it so quietly, softly, but it was there. "I know."

"Are you okay?" I asked her. "Is there something I can do?"

She placed her hands over mine. "I don't want to talk right now."

I felt useless, I didn't know what to do or how to comfort her. I felt bad for even thinking like this but in this very moment I wanted to kiss her. I wanted to pull her face closer to mine and let our lips interlock. I wanted to and every bone in my body told me to, but I didn't do it.

Adrianna her lips quivered. I figured it was from the crying but as she cupped my face with both her hands and pulled me closer to her I didn't believe that anymore.