Chapter 10

Chapter Ten

Fitz

"---why didn't you take us?" Audra yelled.

Fitz had his ear pressed against the wall next to Lady Gisela's office door. He had been looking for Audra, because she was late to training, when he heard her voice from Gisela's office. And so he stayed, listening and waiting.

"Out of all people, you chose to take Moonbeam. Moonbeam! Why her? Cassandra's only special talent is the bright light! That's the only thing she can do!" Audra shrieked at Lady Gisela, angry.

"Darling, I—" Lady Gisela started, but Audra cut her off.

"You could've taken anyone, and you chose the measly team of wimps—Moonbeam, Sunspot, Gadget, and Invisible! Why? I am much better than them—heck, Wonder Boy's better than them! And he can't even punch right!" Audra argued, and Fitz could hear her stomping around.

"Audra," Lady Gisela said sternly, and the stomping stopped. "You and Fitzroy will go on the next mission. It's much bigger, and I need my best people to be on it. You are the best person. And we need Fitz to be there."

"Why does he have to come?" Audra asked, her voice annoyed.

"Because we need him to."

"What about...." Audra paused, and Fitz drew nearer to the wall, trying to catch what she was going to say. "What about—" Audra dropped her voice to a whisper. "---the antidote?"

The antidote? What's that? Fitz asked himself. He tried to catch what Lady Gisela said next.

"He'll find that out soon enough," Gisela said, her voice carrying an undertone of some emotion that Fitz couldn't figure out. "When you think that he's trustworthy."

"I never said I didn't," Audra argued. Fitz's eyebrows raised with surprise. Audra thought he was trustworthy? But didn't she hate him? She certainly acted like it.

"Do you trust him?" Lady Gisela asked.

Audra paused, thinking. "...Yes," she answered belatedly. "He won't betray us. I know that for sure."

"But do you trust him?" Gisela asked again.

There was another pause, and then Audra answered. "Yes." This time, her voice was full of confidence.

"Well then," Gisela replied, "isn't it time to show him the antidote?"

"How?"

Fitz pressed closer to the wall, trying to hear. Instead of answering directly, Lady Gisela simply said, "There's a prisoner waiting in the torture chamber. See what you can do there."

Confusion flashed across Fitz's face as he processed the words. There's a prisoner waiting in the torture chamber. See what you can do there. What did Lady Gisela mean?

In Fitz's moment of confusion, he missed the moment when Audra and Lady Gisela ended their conversation. The door flung open, and Fitz found Audra's face just inches from his own as he stared into her blue eyes that were growing increasingly angrier each second she looked at him. "What. Are. You. Doing. Here," Audra asked, her voice dangerously low.

Fitz shifted uncomfortably. "Um... I was looking for you."

Audra tipped her head up, peering into Fitz's face accusingly. "How long have you been here?" Her voice was still quiet and low in that deadly way that signified that she was about to explode.

"...Not long?" Fitz tried to lie, but the fallacy just ended up sounding like an uncertain question; it was quite obvious that he had been eavesdropping for some time.