Departure of the Survey Team

Start from the beginning

"As you all know, sea monsters normally live in the frigid waters of North and South Poles, but one of them had been chasing a pod of Anans whales northward to feed on them. At present, only one Leviathan has been confirmed on the east coast of the Annan Continent. However, a great deal of damage has been caused by that one stray animal. Since it feeds on the 20-meter-long Anans whale, its size is not comparable to that of an ordinary marine animal, and according to estimates by the Elmstacian Defense Agency, and its total length is 150-180 meters, and more than 15 meters thick..."

The facilitator, Commander Kato, stood up and explained the subject of this meeting.

"For underwater enemies, there is no other way I can think of but to use sonar... However, if the enemy is not a submarine but a creature swimming in the sea, magnetic detection may be meaningless. Unless the monster's scales contain minerals..."

Lieutenant Commander Kazuhiko Shirase, head of the weapons maintenance department, expressed his concerns. Certainly, it is doubtful that a magnetic detector developed to detect slight disturbances in the magnetic field generated by a submarine, which is a mass of metallic equipment, would be effective against the Leviathan, which is a living organism.

"It is doubtful that passive sonar would be useful either. After all, the underwater sounds to be picked up are different from those used to search for submarines."

Maintenance chief, Lieutenant Commander Yoshio Amano, presented a further concern. Passive sonar, which is an underwater listening device, picks up the sound emitted by submarines and vessels moving in the sea or underwater to locate them. In this case, however, it was necessary to identify the Leviathan's swimming sound from the sounds of underwater creatures drifting all over the sea, and it is doubtful that it would be possible to distinguish between them.

"With active sonar, we should be able to distinguish it from other creatures by measuring its size, but our concern is that it might alert the Leviathan to our direction. Also, the sea monsters of this world have echolocation-like capabilities, and there have been reports of them evading short torpedoes."

This was stated by ship's officer, Lieutenant Josuke Kurita. The fact that the Fuyuzuki was disabled in the Altian War by the attack of a giant sea serpent was still fresh in their minds. While the participants were lost in thought, Commander Kojiro Shoji, the flight commander, stood up.

"According to the damage report provided by the empire, the Leviathan was seen jumping from the water and attacking whales and ships. The estimated altitude of the jump was about 40 meters, but this is not necessarily the highest point... Using a dipping sonar, which requires the helicopter to fly near the sea surface, may be a bit risky because of the possibility of the helicopter being attacked from underwater."

"...I guess I can't go by that strategy."

Captain Ando sighed and mumbled in response to the concerns raised one after the other.

"Then... in the survey, let's stick to using active sonar. As for the rest..."

Commander Kato summarizes his opinions expressed and presented a concrete plan for the survey method. After some supplementary comments and questions from the other executives, the meeting on the Leviathan force reconnaissance comes to a close. The last thing he said was about the destination, the Homunculus Kingdom.

"Kingdom of the dwarves!?"

The chief navigator, Commander Yoko Sonobe, looks startled as she heard Kato's statement. The other officers' eyes widened.

"The Homunculus Kingdom on the eastern coast of the continent is said to be a dwarven kingdom the size of a palm. Since we will be anchoring in their territorial waters during the force reconnaissance, the Elmstacian government will dispatch a person to Oga to serve as an intermediary with them to explain the situation. As soon as the mediator arrives, we will sail to the Homunculus Kingdom."

As he was listening to Kato's explanation, Shirase reacted to a word he uttered.

"...Intermediary?"

"Yes, probably an official of the Diplomatic Service or someone. They will arrive here tomorrow around noon."

The executives nodded in agreement to his words. The meeting then ended, and the participating SDF officers returned to their posts.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Next day

Oga Flight Deck

On the day of their departure for the Homunculus Kingdom, the crew lined up on deck, waiting for the mediator from the Elmstacian government, who was flying in from the capital.

"CIC has confirmed that the radar has detected a flying object on an approaching course toward us! They will be here in about 10 minutes."

Lieutenant Kurita, the ship's officer, informed Commander Kato of the approach of the flying object.

"It is probably the intermediary. Have all hands on deck form up."

"Yes, sir!"

Upon receiving the order, Kurita saluted Kato and ordered the crew to do as they are told. Finally, about 10 minutes later, the thing they had been waiting for flew in from the southern sky.

"!?"

The crew on deck, including Kato, were surprised.

'Was that what they meant when they said they would fly in...' Kato thought.

Many of the members who had heard this phrase, "an intermediary flying in from the capital," had imagined the appearance of an official riding a dragon or some other flying creature. What appeared before their eyes, however, was a man with white wings sprouting from his back, flying through the sky all by himself. Without seeming to pay any attention to the stunned crew members, the man with the human face and bird features gracefully alighted on the Oga's deck. Kato stepped in front of him and held out his right hand for a handshake.

"My name is Atsushi Kato, deputy commander of the Oga. On behalf of the entire crew, I welcome you."

The birdman shook Kato's right hand back and introduced himself as well.

"I am Lentis Olfactory, deputy director of the Imperial Diplomatic Service. I have been asked to guide you to the Homunculus Kingdom, which is ruled by the dwarves, and to act as an intermediary between you and the dwarves. I look forward to working with you."

After introducing themselves and greeting each other, Kato led Lentis into the ship. After Captain Ando and Lentis finished meeting each other, the team members took their positions and prepared for the departure of the ship.

Oga CIC

"This is engineering, all clear!"

A report is received from the engine room to the CIC via shipboard communication. Immediately after, the ship's engines start running and the screws begin to turn.

"Considering the possibility of being attacked by the Leviathan during the voyage, we will proceed near the coastline, which is estimated to be shallower than its swimming depth. Be on the lookout for any objects approaching from underwater!"

Ando ordered the members of the CIC.

Oga Officer's Sleeping Compartment

Lentis, as a guest, was puzzled by the huge of mass of steel that slowly began to move.

"I had heard reports and rumors, but I didn't know they had the technology to build and move this huge ship..."

He found himself on board one of these otherworldly monsters that he had only vaguely heard about through oral and written accounts. Feeling this fact, Lentis lets the ship sway. On January 20, 2027, the JMSDF's amphibious assault ship Oga left the port city of Kourbossa in the Elmstacia Empire. The ship departed for the Homunculus Kingdom where the Leviathan is said to made its nest.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The names of the SDF officers featured in this chapter are taken from the great men of Akita, in reference to the Oga Peninsula, from which the ship Oga takes its name.

- Bokutotsu Zen'u