Chapter Two: The Change

Start from the beginning

I sat at the dining table, staring at Faith as she made all three of us a cup of coffee. It annoyed me how she was making something so light out of a dire situation. She was always like that. Never taking me seriously.

I sighed and turned my head, my gaze falling on Alec. My heart skipped a beat when I realized that he had been staring at me with his mouth agape and his eyebrows furrowed. This was even more awkward than talking to my sister after I shut my bedroom door in her face last night.
"So, are you dead? Am I dead?" He asked, looking around slowly. "Are you an angel?"

I rolled my eyes. "No, Alec. This is not a joke. It's real. I think I would be happier than anyone else if this was a dream."

The sound of glass hit the table and I looked up to see Faith handing everyone their coffee. I slid mine towards me and took a sip. A warm sensation took over my body and I couldn't help but smile a little.

Nothing hit better than a cup of coffee after a morning filled with panic.
Faith took a seat next to me, also taking a sip of her coffee. Meanwhile, Alec continued starting at me. He didn't even glace at his coffee.

"Ashley, are you sick? Do you want me to take you to the doctor?"

I sighed. At least she believes me. Or, at least, I think she does. "I think that would be best, yeah."

She nodded.

The next hour flew by in silence. All you could hear were the birds chirping, but that relaxing feeling slipped away by the sipping sound everyone kept making.
I clenched my jaw as I got up from my seat. I grabbed my mug, placed it in the sink and started making my way to my room.

"I'm going to get ready for the doctor." I said, without waiting for any kind of response.

Ω

The wait at the doctor was painfully silent. I glared at the kid running around the waiting room, screaming as he played with the toys, they place in the waiting office. Why did anyone think it would be a clever idea to leave small racecars in the waiting room? Wouldn't be a pile of blocks be enough or something?

I sighed, noticing that Faith shot me a side glare.
This wasn't anything new. She always treated me like a little child, never taking me seriously. Our daily lives had nothing but daily arguments and loneliness. It was already something we were all used to. Alec always tried his best, but you can't always mend what was already broken.

My gaze caressed the plain walls of the waiting room. In some way, it felt like my life. Dull and gray. Just waiting for someone to add a little color to it.

"Ashley Simmers," I turned my head. "You're up."

I nodded and looked at Faith. "Are you going to join me or are you staying here?"

She picked up a magazine, which instantly gave me my answer, but just to add a little more salt to the wound, she added, "It's time you grow up, little girl."

I pursed my lips, turned around, and walked to the doctor's office. These walls had a little more color to it. Not like the baby blue felt like much, but it was superior to some dull gray.

My eyes landed on the man sitting at his massive wooden desk in the middle of the room. The sound of my shoes dragging on the carpet directed his gaze towards me. His glassed rested on his nose and this gray curly hair was dry.
It took him a second to realize that my appearance wasn't as normal as it seemed from a distance.

His fingers intertwined as a small smile decorated his face.

"Ms. Simmers, take a seat!"

I smiled and sat down on the other side of the table, feeling his gaze follow my every move.

"So, what can I help you with today?" his voice echoed across the room.

I cleared my throat, "I didn't look like this yesterday."

His eyebrows furrowed, "Can you tell me your symptoms?"

I fidgeted with my fingers. "I don't really have any symptoms. Yesterday I had a bigger belly and my skin was not this pale. My hair was brown and my eyes... I'm not wearing contacts. These are my real eyes, and they didn't look like this yesterday!" I rambled.

Did I even sound like an adult?

For a second, I could hear the cars driving outside and kids laughing as they walked home from school. I guess this was the front of the office. Even the sound of the air conditioner was a little overbearing.

"I can't conclude anything by just talking. I have to get you tested. To be frank, I have never seen anything like this before, but don't be scared, we'll figure this out together." He assured me as the small smile returned to his face.

It occurred to me that the wrinkles didn't appear on his face as he smiled. It was five in the afternoon. Who knows how long this man has been here, helping people. He reached to his right and grabbed a stack of paper.

He scribbled down a few things that only seemed like, well, scribbles on a paper. It reminded me of the toddler outside.
He handed me the piece of paper and informed me to take it to the lab, so they can get some of my blood and get it tested.

I thanked him for the help and waved him goodbye. My fingers caressed the paper as I entered the gray room again and faced Faith. Her head shot up at the sound of the creak the door made when it opened.

"How did it go?" She asked as we both walked to the door.

I handed her the paper and she immediately understood what had to be done. She led me to the lab and my heart started pounding.

It actually turned out less scary than I expected. The needle didn't even hurt as it went in my skin. It did feel like a little mosquito bite when they took it out, though.

After a while, we made our way back to the car. Faith turned on the AC, and it didn't take long for us to be back on the road. I crossed my arms and leaned my head on the window as I looked outside. In all honesty, I just think I would rather not see my sister. The green grass past us as Faith drove. 

Soon the green grass turned into a patch of sand and there was this man standing there, staring at me. A frown spread across my face as I stared at a man wearing the black robes. He didn't look like he was from this town, and believe me, I would know if he was. Faith passed too quickly, so I couldn't really make out his appearance, but I was sure he was some kind of priest. At least I thought he was.

This was a petite town. Everyone knows everyone around here. It's quite creepy, actually because everyone knows everyone's business around here. I could almost tell everyone by name here. It was a hushed town. It was never as hectic as the cities I've been to when we went on field trips with the school.

We reached home within 5 minutes. All I could think about was the results looming over my head like a dark cloud. I wasn't concerned about talking to Faith. I made my way back to my room and stood in front of the mirror. It was almost like I'd hoped that all these features would have magically disappeared, but it didn't.

I still have silver hair, I still look like a zombie, and I definitely still had purple eyes. A sigh escaped my mouth as I felt like showering, but didn't want to go through that hassle. I rested my head on the pillow after getting on my bed, wishing one last time that all of this would go away in the morning.