nineteen

Karina woke up the next morning to the sound of twinkle twinkle little star on repeat. Rolling over, she rubbed her eyes and scanned the room, spotting Winter's small figure. The brown eyed girl yawned and slid out of bed, trudging over and sitting next to her girlfriend.

Winter jumped when she realized Karina was awake. She quickly moved her hands away from the keys and wiped her eyes. Karina could immediately tell something was wrong.

"What's up?" Karina asked in concern, finding Winter's hand and lacing their fingers together. The younger girl looked up nervously.

"I had a nightmare," Winter whispered, hanging her head down. Karina's eyes widened.

"I thought they went away?" She asked softly, reaching up and cupping her girlfriend's cheek.

"Me too," Winter sighed.

"Wake me up next time, okay?" Karina ran her thumb over Winter's cheek. She hated the thought of Winter waking up from one of her nightmares and being all alone. The small girl nodded softly, scooting forwards and resting her head on Karina's shoulder.

"If it makes you feel any better, we're going to get your present today," Karina whispered before kissing Winter's forehead. The small girl gasped, scrambling to her feet.

"Right now?" Winter asked with wide eyes. Karina could help but smile.

"As soon as you're ready," the brown eyed girl slowly rose to her feet. Winter grabbed a change of clothes and hurried into the bathroom to get dressed. Groggily, Karina changed into a heavy sweater and leggings.

After the girls ate breakfast and finished getting ready, Winter practically dragged Karina out to her car. As they pulled onto the road, Winter began interrogating the older girl.

"Where are we going?" Winter tilted her head to the side, watching as Karina turned in a direction she's never driven in before. The brown eyed girl laughed, shaking her head.

"I can't tell you yet, doofus, that would ruin the surprise," Karina raised an eyebrow. Winter pouted.

"Can I have a hint?" The small girl looked at Karina hopefully, only to groan in frustration when Karina shook her head.

"Patience," Karina laughed. Winter rolled her eyes playfully, settling for leaning against the window and watching as they moved closer and closer to their destination.

The smaller girl grew even more confused when Karina pulled into a small parking lot adjacent to a brick building.

"We're here," Karina grinned, parking the car and sliding out of the driver's seat. The brown eyed girl circle around the back of the car, grabbing a small plastic carrier. Winter studied it in confusion.

"What is this?" Winter asked, padding over to Karina's side and pointing to the carrier.

"You'll see," Karina laughed. Winter groaned, but eagerly followed Karina inside the building.

"Close your eyes," the brown eyed girl instructed. Winter raised an eyebrow, but decided against questioning Karina's request. As soon as she covered her eyes with her hands; she felt a small hand on her back, leading her forwards.

Carefully, she allowed Karina to lead her down what she presumed to be a hallway. When they stopped walking, she bit her lip.

"Open your eyes," Karina whispered, sliding beside Winter to see her reaction. The small girl let her hands fall to her sides, studying the room in front of her.

"Kittens?!" Winter gasped, immediately shuffling forward to one of the metal cages. "Kittens?!" she repeated, turning around and looking at Karina with wide eyes.