thirteen

Karina was awoken when a weight was suddenly lifted off of the bed. Before she could figure out what was going on, she heard rushed footsteps disappear out of the room.

"Wha...?" Karina sat up groggily, rubbing her eyes and looking around the room. Winter wasn't there. Inhaling sharply, Karina quickly wiped her eyes and pulled the blankets off of her legs. She glanced at the clock. 12:15. They had barely been asleep for an hour.

"Winter?" Karina raised her voice, trying to shake off her exhaustion and walking over to the door. "Winter?!" She called louder when there wasn't an answer. Just as she was about to exit the bedroom, she heard quick footsteps coming up the stairs.

Winter appeared at the top of the stairs, holding a medium sized canvas and hurrying towards Karina. As the small girl got closer, Karina realized there were tears streaming down her face.

"What's wrong?" Karina asked quickly, stepping forwards just as Winter shoved the painting into Karina's hands.

"I forgot," Winter shook her head and took a step back. "I am stupid. I am sorry," she looked down at the ground, frantically wiping her eyes with the sleeve of her sweater.

"You what?" Karina asked, looking down at the painting she had found a few days ago. It still gave her goosebumps.

"It was a present," Winter stepped forwards and pointed to the painting. "For you. But it is too late," she sighed and buried her face in her hands. She didn't want Karina to see that she was crying.

"Why is it too late?" Karina grew confused, using her free hand to reach out and pull Winter's hands away from her face. "Why are you crying? This is beautiful, Winter," she looked down at the canvas in her hands.

"It was for Valentine's Day," Winter bit her lip and allowed Karina to reach up and wipe her eyes. "But I... it is too late."

"Oh, babe," Karina shook her head and led Winter into the bedroom. "No it isn't..." she sighed and propped the painting up on her desk so it could be seen from the bed. "I didn't..."

Winter followed Karina over to the bed and sat down slowly. The dark haired girl thought for a moment before speaking once more.

"I didn't give you anything either..." Karina shook her head. "I mean, I obviously got you something... but when you didn't talk to me I... I just didn't think you cared."

"I do care," Winter scooted closer to Karina and grabbed her hand. "I do, Ji. I do. I was scared."

"I know," Karina cupped Winter's hand between her own. "But Valentine's Day is just a day, right? I mean, who says we can't have our own day right now?"

"Right now?" Winter tilted her head to the side.

"Yeah," Karina nodded and stood up, moving over to her desk and rummaging around in the drawer for a moment. "Right now," she sat down on the bed and set a small box in Winter's lap. "Happy... Happy Us day," she smiled softly, kissing Winter's cheek.

"For me?" Winter whispered softly, holding up the box and turning it around in her hands.

"Only for you," Karina laughed softly and crossed her legs underneath her. "Open it."

Winter's small fingers gently tore at the wrapping paper, revealing a small cardboard box. She lifted the lid, furrowing her eyebrows at what was inside.

"A string?" The smaller girl looked over at Karina in confusion.

Laughing, the dark haired girl gently lifted the material out of the box and unrolled it. "Close," she smiled. "It's shoelaces. For your shoes," she motioned to the tattered white converse in by the door.