sixteen

Karina had nearly fallen asleep when she heard the apartment door slammed shut and the jingle of keys, signifying someone was home. Before she could open her mouth, Winter was already scrambling off of the bed and running down the hallway.

Confused, Karina wiped her eyes and got up to follow the small girl. When she reached the top of the stairs, she paused.

"Giselle?" Winter's small voice echoed through the large apartment. Realizing what her girlfriend was doing, Karina took a step backwards and quietly slipped back into the bedroom.

To say the Japanese girl was surprised when she heard Winter call her name was an understatement. She jumped, turning around and looking at the smaller girl who had practically been ignoring her for the past few days.

"Yeah?" Giselle wasn't sure what reaction Winter would be expecting from her, but she tried to act as normal as she could.

"I..." Winter looked down at her shoes and then over at the couch. "I need to talk to you," she looked over at Ningning, who was scanning the refrigerator intently. "Alone," the smaller girl added.

Ningning turned around, looking from Winter to Giselle. Her and Yeji had practically been Winter's shield from Karina and Giselle for the past few days. So to say she was in shock that Winter was suddenly reaching out to Giselle would be an understatement.

"Is everything okay?" Ningning asked quietly. She glanced at Giselle, who appeared to be just as confused as she was. Winter nodded quickly.

"Yes," she looked up from the ground and sent Ningning a hopeful look. Not wanting to interrupt anything, Ningning simply grabbed a water bottle and made her way upstairs.

"Can we..." Winter motioned over to the couch. Giselle just nodded and followed Winter into the living room, plopping down on their signature blue couch.

"What's up?" Giselle asked, brushing her hair out of her face and giving Winter her full attention. She noticed how the smaller girl squirmed in her seat awkwardly.

"I am sorry," Winter spoke hesitantly, looking up at Giselle and biting her lip. She wasn't sure of what kind of reaction she was expecting. "Karina called the doctor."

"What?" Giselle grew confused. "Why?"

"You punched me," Winter mumbled, looking down at her shoes.

"I punched you and Karina had to call the doctor?" Giselle didn't have a clue what was going on. "We haven't even talked for the past week?"

"Exactly!" Winter jumped to her feet and shook her head, beginning to pace back and forth in an attempt to collect her thoughts.

"I remembered," Winter abruptly stopped walking and turned to face Giselle. "I remembered you. At school... and you..." she involuntarily brought her hands up to cup her nose. Giselle realized what she was referring to almost instantly.

"Fuck," the Japanese girl cursed under her breath and shook her head. "I-,"

"I know," Winter cut her off, stepping forwards in a burst of courage. "Do not say sorry. Do not." The smaller girl shook her head and held up a finger to signal Giselle to wait.

"I am remembering," Winter continued after taking a deep breath. "But... I do not understand much," the small girl bit her lip and looked down. "But I am trying."

"As long as you get better," Giselle shrugged. Winter looked up in confusion.

"You can ignore me for as long as you want; if it means you get better, Bunny," Giselle chuckled. "I just want you to get better. I think we all do."