Chapter 8

Emory

I woke up in the bed this morning and I was confused. But then I remembered what happened last night.

I can't believe Brenden found me like that. And right after a nightmare. He must think I'm insane.

Luckily though, Brenden was already gone when I woke up so I didn't have to face him yet.

Getting out of bed, I was about to start my day when I saw a piece of paper resting on the nightstand.

Meet me in my office once you've eaten and gotten ready.
                                 - Brenden

Great. So I don't have as long as I thought.

I took a very quick shower and got dressed as fast as I could. I don't know when Brenden left this morning and I don't want to anger him by taking too long.

The clothes Annalise and Lauren ordered had started coming in so instead of the borrowed sweats, I wore a light blue sundress and some strappy white sandals.

Even though Brenden said I could eat breakfast I skipped it and went straight to his office. I received glances from pack members, but luckily no one approached me.

Head down, I slipped through the halls until I reached the large wooden doors that led to Brenden's office. I reached out a shaky hand and knocked.

"Come in."

I opened the door a crack and slipped inside before closing the door once more.

"Good morning," Brenden greeted me.

"Good morning."

My voice was soft and part of me hated how weak I sounded, but it was how I was trained.

"Please, sit."

I did as instructed and sat in the chair by Brenden's desk. What's this about? I hadn't really had time to think about it yet. Was this it? Is he rejecting me?

My wolf whined at the thought, but I shoved her back. I knew this was going to happen eventually.

"Can we talk about last night?" Brenden asked and my eyes shot up to his.

"W-what about it?"

I was hoping he'd forgotten or would just ignore it.

"What happened?" My mate asked. "You were clearly having a bad dream and you freaked out. You've been scared of me this whole time."

Brenden let out a growl at the last statement and I shrunk down in my seat.

"I'm sorry," I whispered.

"You don't have to apologize, but can you tell me why you are so scared of people?"

No. He'd reject me on the spot which I was already expecting, but if I had a chance of staying here after, he couldn't know. He'd resent me and find me disgusting and he'd kick me out. Or kill me.

My breathing became shallow and the world around me blurred.

Brenden can't find out. He can't know about Alpha Dustin and Tony. Especially Tony.

"Emory?" I vaguely heard through the fog in my head.

"Emory?"

Something touched my arm and I jumped. The chair I was in tipped backwards and I flailed my arms around waiting for the fall. But it never came.

Strong arms grabbed ahold of the chair and stabilized me. I was brought face to face with Brenden. We stared into each other's eyes for a few minutes and my breathing slowly turned normal.