Chapter 5

Emory

I woke up on the cold, hard floor and for a minute I was confused. I didn't know where I was until I saw the male sleeping in the bed. Then all of last night's events came back to me.

I quickly slipped into bed before King Brenden woke up and laid there silently. He would never know I wasn't in bed last night. Hopefully.

"Good morning Emory," a low voice rumbled.

I glanced over at King Brenden who was turned on his side, propping his head up on his hand. Was he watching me?

"Good morning Your Majesty," I whispered, not wanting to be rude and anger him.

"Just Brenden. You are my mate, my equal. No titles are necessary."

"I'm sorry," I whimpered.

I messed up yet again and he probably hated me. I would if I were him.

"You don't have to apologize Emory," he said in that deep voice of his.

I felt the need to apologize for apologizing, but I held it in and nodded because I sensed that's what he wanted. It seemed to be the right move because he didn't move to hit me. He just got up and disappeared into the bathroom.

After a while, Brenden came back out in a crisp charcoal suit. The top two buttons of his shirt were unbuttoned and he looked amazing.

I shouldn't be thinking that. I can't get attached to him when he's going to reject me. I wish he would just get it over with already so it won't hurt as much.

Brenden's eyes connected with my own and a blush came over my face. He caught me staring. That's so embarrassing.

"I have some work that I can't put off, but my sister and her friend are going to come keep you company."

I nodded and Brenden left the suite. I wasn't quite sure what to do so I sat in bed and stared at the wall.

I don't know how long I sat there, but I was completely zoned out and jumped when the door opened. Two girls came in and jumped into the bed next to me.

"Hi! I'm Annalise, Brenden's sister," the first girl introduced herself. I could definitely see the family resemblance. She had the same dark hair as Brenden and the same blue eyes.

"Hi," I whispered softly.

"I'm Lauren," the second girl said. She had light brown hair and blue eyes that were almost gray. She was really pretty. Both of them were. They were probably perfect mates, unlike me.

The girls introduced themselves to me and told me a bit about themselves. Lauren is the Beta female and also Annalise's best friend. Annalise hadn't found her mate yet, but she couldn't wait.

"What do you like to do?" Lauren asked me.

What did I like to do? All I've done for the past 12 years is cook and clean. Does that count?

I wasn't sure so I shrugged my shoulders.

"There must be something," Annalise insisted. "Do you read? Paint? Do archery? Ride horses?"

My eyes widened at all of the possibilities and I shook my head. The girls looked disappointed, but Annalise quickly perked up.

"I've got it!"

She scurried out of the room and came back only moments later with a computer. She opened a website and handed the computer to me.

"What are we doing?" I asked softly.

"Shopping!" Annalise squealed.

She seemed excited, but I wasn't. I hadn't gone shopping since I was a child. All of my clothes at the Blood Stone Pack were hand me downs that didn't fit well. Alpha Dustin said that worthless runts like me didn't deserve new clothes. He said I was a waste of space and he wouldn't spend more money on me than necessary.

"I don't have any money," I told the girls, but they just laughed.

"Don't be stupid. Brenden told us to buy you whatever you want."

He did? Why was he buying me clothes just to get rid of me? Maybe as an apology.

I shouldn't though. Alpha Dustin is right, I don't deserve these nice clothes.

"It's expensive," I told the girls.

"Don't worry about it. I promise it's fine."

The girls really wanted me to look at the clothes so I scrolled through the website with them. I picked a few cheaper items myself and the girls added in things they thought I'd look good in.

"This is too much!"

"No it's not. This isn't even half of what we're getting you," Annalise said simply. Like I wasn't about to spend 500 dollars on clothes and shoes.

Before I could object, Lauren clicked the button that said order and moved on to the next website.

The girls were excited and they seemed really nice so I let myself relax a little bit. I put my worries aside and enjoyed looking at clothes with these girls.

I was banned from looking at prices and I had a much better time after that.

We went through three websites before Lauren and Annalise decided we had enough.

"I'm hungry," Lauren piped up. "Let's go get something to eat."

"I can make lunch," I offered.

"Really?"

I nodded and went to the kitchen in Brenden's suite with the girls close on my heals.

I looked through the cabinets and found everything I needed to make some pasta.

As I cooked, the girls told me more about themselves. I didn't talk too much, but I didn't mind. I liked hearing about them and their normal lives.

Lauren promised to take me to the library one day and Annalise was already planning a movie night for us by the time I put food on the table.

I waited for Lauren and Annalise to try it so I could see their reactions. They moaned at the taste and I smiled. They liked it. Although you couldn't really go wrong with Alfredo.

"Why aren't you eating?" Lauren asked, realizing I didn't have a bowl.

"Oh, um, I don't know."

I didn't know I was allowed. I hadn't gotten permission and I didn't want to anger Brenden.

"Get yourself a bowl and come over here."

"It's ok, I don't have to-"

Lauren cut me off with a look and I got myself a bowl of pasta. I didn't want to upset her when she'd been so kind to me. And I was kind of hungry. I hadn't eaten in a few days.

I sat down with the girls and enjoyed their stories while we ate.

"We'll see you soon," Annalise told me when it came time for them to leave.

They wanted to see me again?

"Definitely," Lauren agreed. "You'll fit right in with us."

The girls left and I began to clean up.

They didn't know how much that sentence meant to me. I felt wanted for the first time in years and it felt amazing.