Chapter 2

Y/n was now 15, almost 16, she had spent the past few years going to the camp, obviously doing her best to make friends, but none would become permanent additions to her life, as most of them left after the holidays and never came back. She was starting her sixth year at Hogwarts in a week, a year ago she received the information she was going to be Hufflepuff prefect and she was ecstatic, but throughout her fifth year, she realized she didn't really enjoy it because of how many people she had to deal with, which got tiring. She told Minerva, but she asked her to keep her position for one more year, obviously, Y/N agreed, but she was secretly dreading going back to school, something she never thought would happen.

It was now officially midnight, meaning it was her birthday. She was outside near the forest, sat down on a log she had grown a certain affection for over her past birthdays. It was a tradition for her to sit alone till midnight, and this year she got lucky. The full moon was the day after, so the moon was almost completely out and the stars were beautiful. She had always enjoyed astronomy. Another part of the tradition, which only started the year before, was sneaking a bottle of fire whiskey from Miss Ruth's secret stash behind the curtains in the kitchens. Of course, a few years ago Y/N would dismiss underage drinking and call it horrible, but times had changed.

Y/N was staring at the stars, analyzing the constellations until she heard a twig snap behind her. She quickly put the drink under the leaves near the log and turned around only to be met with the face of one of the boys she had known since she was 11, Remus Lupin. Lupin was someone she never talked to but had noticed in the halls at Hogwarts, especially since he was a part of the Marauders, which made her curfew prefect duties extremely difficult. Last year she had many encounters with a certain long-haired Gryffindor, Sirius Black, after hours, she would ask him to go to bed many times and he would only reply with flirty comments, all of which she dismissed. She once even dragged the boy back to the Gryffindor tower to make sure he would go to bed, obviously, that led to him annoying the hell out of her all the way there. She grew to like the boy, but she would never admit to it, he made her nights interesting. But back to the encounter at hand, Y/N was terrified, she had never had anyone sneak up on her like this, especially when she was in a drunken state. Her eyes couldn't leave his face, his scars, she always wondered what they were from, but that wasn't any of her business.

"...Ello," he said to her with an uncertain look on his face, he had eye bags under his eyes and looked restless. "Do you mind?" he asked, pointing to the space beside her on the log. "n-no, go ahead, sit", she answered being pulled out of her trance, she wondered why he looked so tired, "You look like shit" she let slip out, quickly covering her mouth afterward, but before she could apologize she heard a deep chuckle, "So do you" he replied, making her laugh. He liked her laugh, it was freeing like she didn't care they had never spoken before. "Y/L/N right?" he asked seeming unsure (even though he wasn't), "Yeah, Y/N, and you are Remus Lupin, Marauder," she said almost making him feel bad for pretending not to know her, "Well Y/N, you seem to know me and my friends, but then again I suppose it is inevitable for a prefect not to know Sirius, James, and Peter," he said to show he actually did know who she was, making her chuckle "Yes, I suppose it is inevitable, with you lot making trouble every day" she was joking, he found it funny. "What did you hide under the leaves there?" he asked curiously, "Helena! You saw that, I thought I was being sneaky" that made him grin, she really was a Hufflepuff, "It's fire whiskey, part of my birthday tradition, started sneaking it out last year, makes the occasion more bearable" she said making the birthday part seem like no big deal, "It's your birthday today?", "Sure is, started 20 minutes ago, I'm lucky this year, I have an almost full moon to look at" at that she noticed him looking down "Happy birthday, I suppose, but I assure you the full moon is not something to be happy about, with all the creatures that will be running around tomorrow", she was confused now, why would he bring that up, she took a long swing of whiskey and offered it to him, while he was drinking she started "Well mister Lupin if you are referring to werewolves, I haven't seen one here yet, and you should consider changing your view on them, they happen to be normal, and sometimes very kind, wizards the other 29 days of the month".

He wasn't expecting that, making him choke on his drink and whip his head at her "You really think so..." he seemed to have hope in his voice, making her wonder if that was where his scars were from,... no it's very unlikely... right? "Yeah... I spent a lot of my free time reading and I came across multiple books on the subject" she said distractedly, that would explain his state "Remus...are you a werewolf?" she said while maintaining direct eye contact, which he avoided "I suppose I made that one easy for you" he replied, making her speechless "...it's really not a good idea to get drunk under the moonlight the night before the full moon, huh" he said more to himself, but she felt guilty for inducing him to share this secret "Remus, I'm sorry, I shouldn't have asked, I can't even imagine how difficult it is to-" she was rambling, so he started speaking to stop her "It's fine Y/N, it wasn't your fault, I'm glad you were here, you seem to be trustworthy, and like someone who won't really judge me for it, a true Hufflepuff" he smiled at the last part "I'm off to bed, should probably rest for tomorrow, and you should try not to worry about me too much" he started walking away until he turned back to get one last look at the girl "Stay inside tomorrow, Y/N" she only watched him quietly leave, "...okay" she said to herself.

What just happened, why did it feel so natural talking to him?