"Bye, Bella!" I yell out, not waiting for an answer as I make my way out the door.

Alice was in her Porsche, giving me a wave. Beside her was Jasper in the passenger seat. I didn't picture him wanting to tag along. I figure it would be Alice babysitting me, but I suppose being the third wheel could help.

"Hey Maddi, it's been a while," Alice's cheerful voice greeted me.

I gave her a tight smile in response. "Seems like it."

Alice's cheerful attitude didn't falter from my response. "I thought it would be fun to stop by some of the stores downtown."

"Before we go, can we stop at the diner?" I asked. It was already past five, and I knew I would be raging if I didn't eat dinner.

She looks at Jasper, shooting him an encouraging smile before facing me. "Sure, but let's be quick."

"Quick, is my middle name," I mutter, buckling my seat.

Riding with Alice was swift. She wasn't keen on following the speed limits and insisted on keeping eye contact with me whenever she found a topic to discuss; her favorite topic was my weekend.

She would receive angry gestures and honks; Alice would exchange them with a smile. I wondered how I was able to remain calm with her erratic driving. I chalked it down to her being a vampire with a psychic gift.

Alice managed to make a fifteen-minute drive to a five-minute drive. The minute she parked the car, the idea of enduring her driving any longer caused me to jump out of the car nearly.

"Will you be joining me?" I asked, pulling at my hoodie strings.

Alice gave Jasper a smirk. "Of course, eating alone wouldn't be very fun," walking towards the entrance with a bounce in each step, her hand entwined with Jaspers.

Did she think I was going to ditch? I think to myself as they walk ahead of me.

Alice's interaction with Jasper intrigued me. Jasper constantly looked in pain. But, in contrast to Alice, she always had a cheerful attitude. Jasper never really spoke to me, so it was hard to figure him out, but he seemed relaxed when he was with Alice. From what I gathered, he also seemed to be more of an observer than a talker.

I shook my head and followed them to the diner. I was grateful that the restaurant wasn't too busy. A couple of people scattered through the small diner, but everyone seemed happy enough to enjoy a semi-private meal.

The entrance had a host stand with a sign telling us to seat ourselves. I wasted no time finding a booth to fit us. Our booth was red with silver accents. Every table had an acrylic table with old newspaper and retro stickers underneath the glass. The menus were in a container that also held the condiments.

"So, how was your company?" Alice asked, giving me a closed smile that reached her eyes.

I rolled my eyes at her enthusiasm. "Wouldn't you like to know?"

"See, there was nothing to worry about," she chided, seemingly reassured that handing me off was a perfect solution.

" I think it is too soon to say, regardless of your...gift," I replied, directing my attention to the menu laid out.

Alice pursed her lips, " Madi—"

"How long do you have to babysit me," I asked her. Alice looked taken back but displayed a more forced smile.

" I wouldn't call it babysitting. I see it as spending time with each other. I haven't seen you since Seattle." Alice spoke breezily.

"Hello, my name is Jared. Can I start you off with anything?" our waiter spoke, breaking my chance to respond to Alice.