Chapter One: Happy Birthday, Ashley

Start from the beginning

"Oh!" her eyes popped as if a lightbulb lit up above her head. "I got you this!"

I grinned widely as I took the red box from her hand and led her inside. She was already wet, and I didn't want her to get sick. I quickly got her a towel and she dried herself as we sat on the couch.

My thumb rested at the corner of the red box. It was almost as crimson as her hair. I always admired the guts Sam had. She always had these vibrant hairs and outfits, while I was stuck with this musty, knotty, chocolate brown hair. She had eyes similar to Faith and her face was this beautiful round shape. Sam was stunning.

While I'm wearing this plain white knee-length dress, Sam was rocking this beautiful gold colored jumpsuit along with some beautiful jewelry that I don't even want to look at.

"How's college?" I asked as I untied the crimson ribbon from the red box.

"It's okay. Not as interesting as my high school-self thought it was. How's that job?" She asked.

I looked up at her. I guess that's a fair question to ask when you see your best friend after three months.

"It's great!" I let out a little gasp. "Everything I wished for!"

She raised her eyebrow at me, making me purse my lips for the second time today. "Is a minimum wage customer service job really everything you wished for?"
I looked at the box, smiling. My decision was not to reply, and I know that, in a way, Sam got the answer to her question instantly. Her choice to stay silent, only made me cheer on the inside.

An aureate bracelet caught my eye as I opened the red box Sam gave me. I gaped as I took the beautiful masterpiece out of its box.

"Wow, it's beautiful!" I cherished the bracelet.

It was a plain bracelet chain with a rose as a charm. Sam smiled and patted my shoulder. In all my years, this was by far the best gift I have ever received. Perhaps even the only gift.
I shot Sam a grateful smile, and her smile only got wider.

It didn't take long for Faith to get downstairs. She wasn't wearing anything flashy. A beautiful blue blouse hugged her frame, and it matched perfectly with the plain black skirt she wore.
My face lit up the moment I heard the loud footsteps behind her. It was none other than Alec, my brother-in-law. He gave Faith a peck on the lips before hugging me and wishing me for my birthday. The strong scent of his perfume calmed my nerves in a way. It was his favorite perfume. I still remember how he rambled on and on when he bought it.

"It's time for the cake!" Faith breathed out. The dark circles underneath her eyes told me exactly what I needed to know.

"There's cake?" I raised my eyebrow at her.

She didn't say anything. She just shot me a random smile and walked over to the fridge. We followed her to the kitchen and watched as she took out the small white box from the fridge. She placed it on the counter and took a knife, handing it over to me afterwards.

I was rather reluctant, but took the knife anyway. Alec opened the white box, revealing a beautiful round cake with 'Happy Birthday, Ashley!' written on it. It didn't take long for everyone to start singing as I found myself cutting the cake. I cut out a triangle and gave Faith a bite out of it. She took the cake and gave me a bite, and so it made its way to Alec.

I cut another piece of the cake and handed it to Sam, who wasted no time in devouring it instantly. Everyone had their piece, and we made our way back to the living room. A sudden rush of anxiety went through me when I remembered that I left the cupcakes on the coffee table, but when I looked in that direction, the cupcakes were gone.

Faith probably put it away.

I shrugged it off and sat next to Sam on the couch. The rest of the night passed by normally. We were all talking about anything and everything. Alec and Faith were pretty much doing their thing. I smiled as I looked at them.

Faith and Alec got married a year ago. They fell in love the moment they saw each other. They pretty much had normal corporate jobs, while I managed with my minimum wage Customer Care job. I didn't really hate it, though because that's where I met Sam. She was also working there, but left after getting a better paying job.

I finally took out the board games, and we decided to play Monopoly as we ate our cupcakes. The hours flew by, and we didn't even realize that it was already 11 at night. It was time for Sam to leave.

"Hey, maybe you can stay here tonight," I grinned.

Sam and I looked at Faith with hope in our eyes. Faith sighed and looked at the floor. "I'm sorry, Sam. You have to leave. We can't have anyone over."

My eyebrows furrowed. "Some on, Faith! You never let any of my friends stay over. Besides, I'm 21 now!"

Faith shrugged. "Get your own place, then you can have friends stay over."

Sam intervened before I could even say anything.

"Don't worry, Ashley. I'll get a cab. Walk me outside?" She asked.

"I'm afraid she can only walk you to the door." Faith said.

I didn't say anything, I just got up with Sam and walked her to the front door. Her smile wasn't so cheeky anymore, but it was still there. We said our goodbyes and I watched as she walked down the road, calling for a cab.

I shut the front door with all my strength and stomped towards Faith. "What the hell, Faith!"

"Stop being a child, Ashley." She rolled her eyes.

I could feel my face getting hotter at this point. "What do you mean? I've never been a child! She's my only friend and all I wanted was for her to spend some more time with me!"

"I don't understand why you think I care when you're living in my house."

"It's my mother's house, not yours!" I spat back at her.

"I don't have time for this. Leave."

My jaw clenched. I shot her one last glare before I sprinted to my room, locked my bedroom door, and took off my clothes. I didn't even realize I was crying until my vision became blurry and my eyes started prickling. This really felt like my limit. It never mattered to Faith how much I tried to please her; I was never enough.

I will never be enough.

I put on my night dress and crawled into bed. All I could do was wonder when this nightmare was going to end. All I wanted was to be enough for Faith.

But all I am is a burden.

"Ashley!" I heard her call me.

I didn't get up. I just sobbed, but I couldn't take it anymore when she started banging on my door.

"What do you want?" I asked the moment I opened the door.

"Don't forget to give me your share of the bills tomorrow."

All I could see was red. I wanted to punch her face, but slammed the door shut instead.

What did I do to deserve all of this?