8: red ears are cute

"Dad," Cordelia woke up in the middle of the night, realizing that the clothes beside the bed belonged to men. Stunned, Cordelia left the room and found Nereus eating a slice of bread in the kitchen. "The clothes at my bedside-"

"Anastacius found out," Nereus interrupted Cordelia - rather, Calyx from saying more. "But his daughter hasn't. Oh, and as for your clothes," the man gave his son an apologetic look. "I do not know how to do the laundry. All that's left are male clothes."

"..." Calyx opened his mouth, stunned and bemused at the same time. Stunned because Uncle Anastacius figured out his secret and bemused because his dad, Nereus, wore a flustered look. "It's okay; Uncle Anastacius is a kind a person. And don't worry, dad! I'll do the laundry in the morning!"

An encouraging smile plastered itself on his face, causing Nereus to glance at his child with fondness. "Calyx," said child hummed and tilted his head, curious what his dad wanted to ask. "Calyx, my child, how are you feeling?"

Calyx' grin turned soft as he approached his dad, hugging the man who raised him singlehandedly all these years. "You worry too much. Though I was helpless, I'm capable of protecting myself thanks to your teachings, dad." He paused, before burying his face in his dad's chest.

In that moment, it was like Calyx reverted back to being a toddler as he clung onto his dad. "So, So don't blame yourself! It was I who insisted on going to the sea... even though you repeatedly warned me to stay away. Dad, I'm sorry for being stubborn. I knew you told me that because you're worried about me but because I asked you to-"

"Calyx-" Nereus interrupted his child, patting Calyx on the head in a gentle manner. "- have I not said that I would give everything you ask for? Whether it is money, fame, or an entire kingdom; dad will make it happen. So something trivial like playing at the sea with Jennette is something your dad can agree to."

He spoke in a voice that chided and indulged Calyx at the same time. That deep, soothing voice of his soothed the restlessness inside Calyx' heart as the child bit the inside of his cheeks.

After all, he knew how his dad was like. If he hadn't asked to go to the sea, then nothing troublesome would have happened. This time, Calyx' decision implicated Jennette and his secret was found out by Uncle Anastacius.

"But... the sea..." is dangerous, was left unsaid. His dad told him before; the sea is not a place Calyx could just come and go. Although Calyx didn't know his real identity, he understood that going into the waters was the same as risking his life. And if he forfeited his life due to the dangers in the sea, what would happen to his dad?

Would he be left all alone?

Calyx didn't want that.

"Although dangerous, I have the ability to keep you safe. As long as you don't venture pass the reef, you can take Jennette for a boat ride. It's the least I could do for you."

No, Calyx thought as he hugged his dad tighter. You've done more than enough by simply raising me, dad.

He felt guilty; guilty that he was robbing his dad of a life where he could do as he wished. Because of Calyx' existence, his dad was stuck at home, always trying his best to keep them safe.

"The sea is boundless," Calyx recited a passage he once read in a book his dad gave to him when he was younger.

"So is my love for you, dad. Dad, you don't have to put me in the center of your life. You being by my side is more than enough. You've looked after me all your life; this time, I want to look after you. So, So take a rest, and leave everything else up to me."