5: dropped on your head

Many, many years ago, when the world was just a few hundreds of years old; every piece of land was abundant with life.

And with this life came along all sort of races to live.

The dragons in the skies.

The elves in the forests.

The dwarves in the mountains.

The humans in the lands.

The merpeople of the seas.

Long ago, they lived together in harmony. What each of them lacked, the others would make up for it.

But good times would not last.

Greed appeared within their hearts and betrayals came from all sort of races.

Thus, the first and last great war happened.

After that war, when all races suffered losses, each of them decided to live away from each other and to never make contact once again.

But the merpeople didn't abide by this agreement. They felt as if they and humans were brothers and sisters. They never would have expected that humans, who they treated sincerely, would betray them for treasures.

The merpeople's population dwindled little by little as humans hunted them down. After decades of being treated like a prey, the new Sea King decided to sever ties with the humans, even from those humans who treated them quite well.

He hid the entire population of merpeople deep into the sea where no one other than them could reach. Thus, the merpeople disappeared just like the other races.

However, many artefacts and treasures were left behind due to this sudden decision of the Sea King.

One of which was something the humans called as Sea Pearls. These so-called Sea Pearls were formed from the tears of the merpeople. The more intense their grievances were, the bigger these pearls would be. Sea Pearls had one distinction that separated it from ordinary pearls and that was the thick mana inside them.

This piece of history Anastacius once came across popped up inside his head the more he looked at the pearl Cordelia bought.

They were already planning to go back to Mieta and Anastacius was helping Nereus pack up when he picked up the box containing the pearl. Despite having his mana taken, Anastacius was still someone who had mana once.

So he was more sensitive to this kind of things.

Furthermore, the way Nereus' expression changed that day when Cordelia showed him the pearl seemed odd in his eyes.

Too deep in his thoughts, Anastacius almost slipped off the steps. There was a heavy rainfall last night and today's was just a light drizzle.

If it were not for Nereus who showed up behind him, Anastacius would have already made a fool out of himself.

How embarrassing!

"Anastacius," Nereus spoke as he helped the other back to his feet. "Are you still half asleep?"

"I'm not!" He snapped, ears red as he stomped towards the carriage. Anastacius could hear Nereus laughing behind, causing him to lower his head further to hide his face. "You're not a kid any longer; why are you still laughing?"

"Why," Nereus climbed up the driver's seat and sat down beside Anastacius. "Is it a crime to laugh?"

"..." His words left Anastacius speechless.