Chapter 10: Friends Again

Hailey's POV:

I tried my best to stay focused on work--but my migraine was making it difficult. God, why did I come to work today? I should have listened to Zander and stayed home. I glanced up at Jake's office--he seemed to be wiser than me. His chair was still empty and it was clear that he had no intentions of coming in today.

I rubbed my head and tried to not think about the pain. It was hard, though. Paired with having to stare at a screen, and the noises coming from all around me--it made the pain worse. I threw my desk drawer open--desperately looking for the bottle of Asprin I kept there. 

I took a pill and waited for it to sink in. My mind felt like a baseball, repeatedly being smashed by the bat. I wanted to go home and sleep. I heard the office door open--was Jake here?

I was hoping it wasn't him. Last night got--awkward--to say the least. I bit my lip impatiently waiting for the figure to walk in.

Relief hit me like a wave. It was Lia. Thank god. I wasn't sure if I could ever see Jake again. Considering what happened. Lia looked surprised as she saw me behind my desk. She smiled and walked into my office, several papers clutched in her hands.

"Didn't think I'd be seeing you here," She grinned at me. I tried to ignore her presence and keep working--but her chatty self was making that task difficult. 

"What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be at home?" She didn't seem in any way concerned for me. "No. I'm fine."

Lia chuckled. "You don't look fine. You should've stayed home like Jake," Said Lia.

"I have more work ethic than him. I don't miss work when I'm hungover. Unlike most people." Lia's smirk faded and she began flipping through the papers she held.

"You're only torturing yourself," She said before making her way to the door. "What are those?" I called over to her. The sensation of me yelling was enough to make me want to puke.

Lia turned to face me. "Jake's work. He asked me to bring it home to him," She smiled. "I guess he does have some work ethic after all, hm?" She giggled and left the room. My head was making it hard to tell what was real--but I'm sure she closed the door extra-hard for me. 

Jake's POV:

My nerves were shaking when I heard the knock on my door. I had invited Drew over. Lia and (mostly) Hailey had gotten in my head--and I wanted to make things right with him. 

Still dizzy, I went and let him inside. Neither of us said "hello". 

Drew followed me to my couch where he took a seat on the far end. He noticed the trash can beside me. "Hungover?" He said slowly. I waited a few seconds before nodding. 

He sighed. "Look, Jake. I'm sorry about coming to Hailey's house last night. That was... dumb of me," Said Drew, looking embarrassed. "It's all right," I said. 

Drew said nothing in return. I looked to the floor--the silence overtook us. "How have you been?" Drew said suddenly. 

I cleared my throat. "Good... good." Drew nodded. "So... are you, friends, with the music freaks again?" He asked me.

I glared at him. "We're not in high school anymore. You can stop calling them that," I narrowed my eyes at him. Drew didn't say anything.

"But, yeah. I am." Drew took his phone out and started texting someone. "Who's that?" I said softly. Drew looked up at me. "Zoey," He put his phone back in his pocket. "She's just asking what I want for dinner." He smiled.

"Oh. You and Zoey are still together?" I said curiously. I thought he would've found out about her gold-digging by now. 

"Better. We're married. Well, we got married last year. But it's been going good." He bit his lip. I nodded. 

"How about you and Lia?" He asked. "Um, fine. Yeah. We're fine." I said quickly. Drew nodded again. His phone buzzed. "Sorry, um, Zoey," He laughed quietly. I smiled as he walked into my kitchen and answered the phone.

I took my broken phone out trying my best to ignore their conversation. I had a text message from Lia.

Lia🐻: I got your papers. Oh, and guess what?

Jake❤️: What?

Lia🐻: Hailey's here. 

Jake❤️: Oh, really?

Lia🐻: Yeah, I know right. She's so desperate to look good.

Jake❤️: What do you mean?

Lia🐻: I went into her office and she went off about how she has such a good "work ethic" and how you "obviously" don't.

Jake❤️: Okay then.

Lia🐻: How's your reunion with Drew going?

Jake❤️: Fine.

Lia🐻: I'll bring you your work soon. See you!

Jake❤️: See you.

I put my phone away as Drew took a seat next to me. "Sorry about that," He mumbled. "It's OK." I smiled at him.

"So, Jake," He said quickly. "Can we be friends again?" 

. . .

"I'll think about it."